+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Koetsu Re-tip advice needed....

I'm Kyle.

Default Koetsu Re-tip advice needed....

I recently had my Koetsu Onyx Platinum Diamond cartridge re-tipped. So as not to be a "flamer", I won't reference where/who did the re-tipping; however, I will say that the service, responsiveness, and the repair results were considerably below my expectations. Nonetheless, when I finally receive my cartridge back, mounted it, made all of the adjustments (with the Graham 1.5t arm, this is quite easy), and lowered it on to a reference piece of vinyl, to say that I was underwhelmed would be an understatement. I also have a Koetsu Rosewood Signature, so true A-to-B comparisons were easily performed and the re-tipped Onyx was so inferior - in all aspects - to the Rosewood Signature, that I had to ask "what's wrong here!?". So I contacted the re-tipper, and he finally replied after two weeks of my trying to chase him down. "Cartridge Loading" he tells me, and I tell him of the comparison to the Rosewood Signature and my past very vivid recollection of the sonic signature of the Onyx; furthermore, the loading of the two Koetsu's should be similar/same (never a problem in the past!); so what gives?

I should note that the Onyx had about 250-300 hours on it, and other than the fact that the diamond tip had come off the cantilever (children!!), everything else was fine. Additionally, since this is a "Diamond" series Onyx, when I shipped it to him for re-tipping, I requested that he NOT replace the cantilever - just the diamond tip.

So I'm looking for some advise here... 1) I've been told by some that Koetsu does not recommend re-tipping. An "authorized" Koetsu dealer/re-tipper will rebuild your entire cartridge using only the old body/housing of your old cartridge. OK fine - but for $3,000 to $4,000! Suggestions/input on this? 2) Should I ship the cartridge back to the re-tipper (he advised he'd accept it back and inspect it). However, I'm apprehensive of dealing with this guy again, and if putting a new, non-Koetsu, diamond on the cartridge will ever be "on a par" (or even close!) with the original, then why spend good money after bad? 3) If there are other Koetsu owners who have gone the re-tip route (not rebuild), what were the results, and if you were pleased with the outcome, where did you have the re-tipping done? And 4) Has anyone had their Koetsu completely rebuilt: if so, what were the results and where did you have it done?

Very frustrating and disappointing and would appreciate any feedback I can get.

Kyle

I'm Dave.

In my experience, the only way to get a Koetsu 'properly' serviced or re-tipped, is to return it to Koetsu via your dealer or distributor.

Other companies can repair, re-tip and service but without access to Koetsu parts, will not be able to return it to the original performance or sound. Others may even be able to do a better job but it won't be a Koetsu. A bit like taking your Ferrari into the local Dawoo dealer and having a clutch fitted. It might work well but it won't be a Ferrari.

I'm John.

Hi Kyle,

I certainly agree with Dave above - I realize that the price for an actual re-tip by Koetsu is rather steep but, considering that this involves a complete re-build (minus magnets - body) of the cartridge, it seems like the right way forward. Especially with a cartridge like yours. Having recently compared a re-tipped Black to a new factory one the differences, while subtle, were quite audible.

That being said, many people here at AOS have had very positive results with North West Analogue - he seems to have a lot of experience with Koetsu; he is a member here so might be worth contacting. My other recommendation would be Roberto Torlai in Italy - top notch.
    Best
    John

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Can Dom/NWA actually fit diamonds to existing cantilevers, or do they fit new cantilever assemblies to existing generators? I think ESCo can do this, as well as full rebuilds, but this latter are able to fully recalibrate if necessary.

The only Koetsu I remember having 'things' done to it was an original Onyx which again, had its diamond knocked off. VDH retipped it and it sounded amazing, quite the best early Koetsu I ever heard.

Later on, the owner sent it back to Japan to be turned into a 'Signature' model and it came back ruined, the sound rather wishy-washy and effusive, much in the vein of Top End pickups back then.

I do understand that Koetsu's today, as well as being daft money (I just have this 'thing' about foo products and prices - apologies), are more neutral in performance than the warm-toned earlier models, but if the performance has been altered negatively by your recent adventures, going back to the factory may well be the only option, although thus pauper must add that cachet aside, there are some rather wonderful cartridges available for well under $1000 you know
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Kyle.

Dave/Dave/John - Thanks for the input. hifi dave's comment was spot on regarding retipping my Onyx through non-Koetsu channels - " A bit like taking your Ferrari into the local Dawoo dealer and having a clutch fitted. It might work well but it won't be a Ferrari." Ha! Great analogy!

No I have to find legitimate Koetsu sources for the rebuild.

Kyle

I'm stu.

My black was re done at Goldring.
    Very good job done and quick.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm Neal.

+1 for the Goldring service. Although its not in the same class they did a superb job with my 103D.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm peter.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    In my experience, the only way to get a Koetsu 'properly' serviced or re-tipped, is to return it to Koetsu via your dealer or distributor.

Other companies can repair, re-tip and service but without access to Koetsu parts, will not be able to return it to the original performance or sound. Others may even be able to do a better job but it won't be a Koetsu. A bit like taking your Ferrari into the local Dawoo dealer and having a clutch fitted. It might work well but it won't be a Ferrari.
    This is correct..and needs saying. Too many enthusiasts have ruined Koetsus (and other good makes) by having them retipped by outside agents. Sometimes, too often, attempts are made to sell such modded cartridges as 'original.' After all, how would most of us know?
    As a result of this problem, I won't buy second-hand cartridges. You just don't know what has been done to them. By the way, have you noticed how nearly all second-hand cartridges have been' lightly used.'?
    So, my advice would be to buy new and use carefully...if it's too expensive, buy something you can afford. Isn't that what we have to do all the time (I'd like a Jaguar, I drive an old Toyota).

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by kroslos View Post
    Dave/Dave/John - Thanks for the input. hifi dave's comment was spot on regarding retipping my Onyx through non-Koetsu channels - " A bit like taking your Ferrari into the local Dawoo dealer and having a clutch fitted. It might work well but it won't be a Ferrari." Ha! Great analogy!

No I have to find legitimate Koetsu sources for the rebuild.

Kyle
    the US distributor is Pelotone: http://www.pelotone.com/index-koetsu...ctory-rebuild/
    Last edited by vouk; 29-03-2014 at 17:28.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    +1 for the Goldring service. Although its not in the same class they did a superb job with my 103D.

What's not in the same class?????

The 103 doesn't have a posh stone body I grant you and diamond cantilevers with stunning stylus fit and finish can be had in the Dynavector 17D3 I think still for a 'mere' £600 or so, but the bits inside won't be so different. It's the CACHET of the Koetsu that tries to justify the expense. Ab Sounds sell an expensive lifestyle portfolio of products to a tier above B&O but don't ever think the products are 'better' than everyone else. They're just much more expensive and 'exclusive' because of it, the one exception possibly being Devialet, which does seem somewhat unique in what it offers the consumer and the internal electronic engineering involved to make it do what it does.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast