+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Discoveries . . hell yeah!

Indubitably. $63.45US. Just go to my site, Ali, and on the "pics + pay" page you will see a BuyNow button to pay by PayPal or CC. It is not necessary for you to fill out the submission form. Let me know if you have any problem or questions. Cheers.

http://www.diffractionbegone.com
    Last edited by jimdgoulding; 03-10-2008 at 23:05.
    Hear your music, not your speakers

Shuggz- Your set is in route. They're black and look good if I do say do myself. Kindly share your impressions. One Adagio customer said his favorite female vocalist now stands up when she sings.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Hi Jim,

I've just hit the pay now button.Is there a choice of colours?

Ali- Thank you. I got it. They are a mid gray as is. Made to look a little brighter in Rob's photos due to the flash. I have no experience dying them anything other than black. At that, I'm pretty good. If you like, you can send me an additional $7.00 and I will dye them for you. If you want to go for another color, I will tell you how to safely dye them yourself but I am too nervous personally about undertaking a custom color for you.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

No worries,just wondered.As is will be fine.

I'm jazzed about this customer feedback I got just today from a customer using Von Schweikert speakers so I thought I would share it:

"Jim, after a week of use on the VR1s and VR4JRs I'm convinced these pads are not going back. I really like what they do each of my systems. Overall the impact of the pads seems to be to create sharper transients, more detailed imaging and improved image focus and significantly truer-sounding instrument timber. The general impression is for instruments and vocals to have more of a live performance sound with the sound becoming freed of the speaker boxes. And finally, while nothing actually sounded harsh before the pads, with the pads there seems to be a more effortless, natural-sounding presentation of the music - as though there was some harshness I wasn't aware of that is now gone. It feels like I'm finally hearing what my system is capable of, what I've expected with every other upgrade and never found , and finally hear. Thanks for a giving me the sound I've been looking for.

Next week, RMAF is in town and I was looking forward to attending in order to hear a few speakers I've been interested in. But with these improvements, and the dreadful state of the economy, I can't imagine I'm going to hear anything that can beat what I now have with your pads, without paying what my entire system costs just for speakers. I think you just helped me get off of the upgrade bandwagon. Joe G"

For some people, this can be the missing link. For others, a nice improvement. Removing diffraction and its effects will tell you more about what your system is working in earnest to deliver. I confess to lovin feedback like this. Rob's, too. That's part of what makes it worthwhile for me. It gives me great joy to make this much of a difference for a fellow for fifty five bucks.
    Last edited by jimdgoulding; 08-10-2008 at 13:25.

I'm Dave.

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/product....de=view&pid=32

Are my speakers a good canidate for this?

Sorry,

But have these not been round the block? An old idea resurrected? I am pretty sure such product/practice/ideas was available during the 80's and 90's?

Not too dissimilar to Russ Andrews Focus rings either? In fact pretty much an old cheap DIY method which has been around for many years but which seems to have been forgotten probably due to less people seeing thick felt in shops these days.

What do you charge for a large sticky back sheet for the customer to cut and fit himself?

I am sure such stuff used to be available form art and craft shops, and maybe even furniture craft stores, various thickness's and ranging from synthetic to real wool.

Early experiments used to involve heavy carpet underlay, (yes such a heavy wool felt underlay did exist once in the UK, though sadly NOT at $60 for a few square inches.

Wool underlay used to be so practical for loudspeaker DIY, anyone know where to get it these days?

The practice used to be to basically cut a blanket out of the stuff with holes for the drivers, some even doubled it up, others fitted it behind grills, and even cut whole sheets to fit the baffle. Another way was to use cork tile with a felt layer bonded on top, again covering the baffle, or a good few inches around the drivers.

You could probably patent the cup idea too, where you take a few mm of plastic cup rim and fix it around a dome tweeter for added effect!

Dmckean- Yep. I looked at the site. The PMC's have flat baffles and right angles. Sure will. Sastusbulbas suggests that what I make can be made easily enough DIY. The wool I use is very high grade sheep's wool imported from Argentina which I buy by the linear yard, not a synthetic product like what is available in fabric and hardward stores. I do this for its absorption qualities. Any audio product that is hand and machine made and does what it claims to do ought to cost at least $60.00. I'm playing around with a blog and a Youtube video that will explain an awful lot to guys who can't imagine a value to what I make and charge for it. I'm used to Sastasbulbas suppositions. I get them all the time. Mostly from guys our age.

Hey Jim,

Don't despair mate, I get the same sort of comments constantly,

People copy what I do all the time and then say hey I did this on the cheap, look how cleaver I am....

Truth is, I've yet to see someone come even close to making a copy of one of our products.

It's all about, materials, workmanship, knowledge, and some real dedication. It takes time, money and a lot of sweat. Even then several years down the line we are still striving to push the boundaries forever further by examining from several aspects.

Simply put, you can't climb the ladder overnight....keep at it mate, many manufactures face the same criticisms.

If they want to make their own, let them, for it won't be one of yours will it !!

Darren

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast