+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: speaker recomendations for a small room & close to wall

I'm Graham.

Default speaker recomendations for a small room & close to wall

Hi,

I currently have a pair of LV Auditoriums but need to change them for a pair of speakers that work well in a small room (12ft x 11ft) and can be mounted near the wall.

I am looking to sell or part exchange the LV's to fund them and also toying with the idea of also selling my Woo Audio 6 headphone amp which includes a Sophia Princess Mesh Plate 274B rectifier tube and also a pair of HD 6550 headphones with a Cardass cable (I think). I am not sure of what price to put on the amp and if I do actually want to sell it - depends on the price of what is out there.

I will be using them with an Icon Audio valve amp

Budget is about £500ish and can be either floor standers or stand mounts.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Trumpton_Rioter; 25-03-2014 at 09:24. Reason: forgot to say what my amp is

Main System
    FLAC -> Synology DS413j NAS -> SB Touch -> CA DacMagic -> Icon Audeo Sterio 40i -> LV Auditorium

Office System
    FLAC -> Ubuntu server running LMS -> SB3 -> Kenwood Amp (from the 80's) -> Mordaunt-Short MS.3.40

I'm gone.

Epos speakers work well close to walls, ime. Clear, dynamic sound.

I had a pair of larger ES30 for quite a while, and they def preferred near-wall siting.

I'm Tom.

Your room is cavernous compared to mine

I have a pair of JPW AP3s and they live very happily in such a tiny room close to a wall, so they should thrive in a room your size

Not power hungry either so your Icon Audio will drive them no problem.

I'm Graham.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will have a search for some of them and see whats about.

Main System
    FLAC -> Synology DS413j NAS -> SB Touch -> CA DacMagic -> Icon Audeo Sterio 40i -> LV Auditorium

Office System
    FLAC -> Ubuntu server running LMS -> SB3 -> Kenwood Amp (from the 80's) -> Mordaunt-Short MS.3.40

I'm James.

KEF LS50's. There were a pair for sale on AOS for £500. Will work very well in that size room.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Geoff.

It may seem strange, but my Tannoy Cheviot II speakers work fine in a room slightly smaller than yours. They are near the back wall and driven by valve or SS Class A amps. No boom or thickness to the sound and perceived bass extends well down.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm David.

I started a similar thread a while back, my room is slightly smaller than yours. I ended up getting a pair of Rega RS1s, they're rear ported but can be used close to the wall or even wall mounted (Rega make brackets specifically for this). I'd heartily recommend them, detailed, good soundstageing and the mid/bass paper cone makes them 'fast'. The sensitivity is quoted at 90dB so I should think the Icon valve amp would drive them OK.

I'm Andrew.

I've got two pairs of small speakers that work very close to walls. One are Totem Arros, which would be very good in that room. The other are Linn Majik 109. I think it's forbidden to mention Linn speakers on the forums, but they are very good for a small office system. The Kef LS50 are great, but you need a bit of space behind them.

I'm Shaun.

Those tiny Harbeths would be up there on a similar level as your Auditoriums and would suit a small room but I am not sure how they would fare with a valve amplifier. Maybe get the opinions of some more hi-fi fans and see how things go. Ah, I remember now, HLP3Es's.

I'm David.

I think Stereophile gave the Majik 109 a very good review.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast