+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DVD players vs CD players

I'm Andr'e.

To be honest i was getting fed up with having to buy CD+DVD sets or do without, seems that they assume everyone has a DVD player within their system.. Do people have DVD players in their system! i certainly do not.

I'm gone.

Well, they didn't have DVD players built into radiograms, did they Andre?

I think DVD players make excellent CD transports - currently listening to my Arcam DV29 playing a CD thru my NOS TDA1541A DAC.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Well, they didn't have DVD players built into radiograms, did they Andre?

I think DVD players make excellent CD transports - currently listening to my Arcam DV29 playing a CD thru my NOS TDA1541A DAC.
    I agree.

I used a Denon 2910 for a long time - also played SACD, which is useful if you have a few of them.

I might yet get another Denon DVD player for such duties..

P
    Separates Systems:

(1) Antipodes CX and EX, Matrix Audio X-Saber DSD, Meridian DSP7000 active speakers;
    (2) Lumin D2, Cary CD-308 cdp, Quad 99 power amp, Horns 5degreeN*27 speakers;
    (3) Homebrew PC with Onkyo Wavio SE200 soundcard running Daphile, Quad 44 and 405.2 into Dali Zensor 1s;
    (4) Sooloos C15 plus storage, Braun A2, P1, CD3, C1 and T1 into Sonus Faber Concertos.

Integrated Home System:

Sony PS-X600, Naimnet NNT01 DAB Tuner; NS02 Server; NNP01/NNP02 room amplifiers; Netstreams switches, keypads, KEF Ci130QS/Soundlight speakers.

I'm Stephen.

It used to be suggested that dvd players made good cd players. What's changed? Jon Marks one-time editor of Hi Fi World used to use an early Panasonic A350 with some Magneplanner SMG speakers. Can't remember what amp he used.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    To be honest i was getting fed up with having to buy CD+DVD sets or do without, seems that they assume everyone has a DVD player within their system.. Do people have DVD players in their system! i certainly do not.
    I have the DVD player but no TV

As with most things the SQ you get depends on the quality of the player and ancilliaries, there are those that sound awful and those that sound frickin' awesome

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kipling View Post
    It used to be suggested that dvd players made good cd players. What's changed? Jon Marks one-time editor of Hi Fi World used to use an early Panasonic A350 with some Magneplanner SMG speakers. Can't remember what amp he used.
    Stephen

I think some people thought that the superior data buffer function in the DVD player helped.

P
    Separates Systems:

(1) Antipodes CX and EX, Matrix Audio X-Saber DSD, Meridian DSP7000 active speakers;
    (2) Lumin D2, Cary CD-308 cdp, Quad 99 power amp, Horns 5degreeN*27 speakers;
    (3) Homebrew PC with Onkyo Wavio SE200 soundcard running Daphile, Quad 44 and 405.2 into Dali Zensor 1s;
    (4) Sooloos C15 plus storage, Braun A2, P1, CD3, C1 and T1 into Sonus Faber Concertos.

Integrated Home System:

Sony PS-X600, Naimnet NNT01 DAB Tuner; NS02 Server; NNP01/NNP02 room amplifiers; Netstreams switches, keypads, KEF Ci130QS/Soundlight speakers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12