+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: £500 kitchen system with wall mounted speakers - Linn Sara + XTZ A100D3 amplifier?

I'm Bill.

OK, so I understand that you don't like the Saras - and I don't have the experience to argue. However I'm not just aiming for 'background' listening, in fact probably 1/2 of all our listening of any sort will be in the kitchen.

The kitchen doesn't have any wall units, and so positioning on the end wall fairly 'evenly' shouldn't be too much of a problem. However, the speakers will have to be mounted at around 5-6ft high.

So, what do you think is the best system that I could put together for around £500. On the basis that I need to wall mount the speakers. Let's say £500 total for speakers and amplification - I'm aiming to get the best sound and not looking to make any savings on my vast budget!

This could be interesting.

I'm ChrisB.

It's OK Bill, I wouldn't argue with you over whether I liked them or not! I also wouldn't presume to think that you won't like them - lots of people think they're fantastic. But I think you might struggle to get them to give their best in that position. Wall mounting speakers that are fussy about placement isn't going to be easy is it? I mean you're not going to be able to fine tune that at all......"Pass the drill and spirit level, I think I might try shifting them another six inches further apart".......is not a statement you are going to want to make too many times!

I've said enough, so I'll let others suggest alternatives.

I'm Bill.

No Chris, please don't stop.

What do you think would be best for my requirement for amp and wall mount speakers for £500.

I really am looking for advice - I have had much to do with audio kit since the late 80's, so don't know what's out there (but have been reading the forum(s) over the last few weeks)!

I'm Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    How easy is it to get some AR speakers, though? Personally If I was setting up a kitchen system I would get some jbl control 1 new for about sixty notes and that includes the wall mounting brackets. DAC for thirty quid and a Denon or Rotel or similar amp say fifty quid. Job done at less than a ton and a half all in. You don't need anything fancier than that for background listening in a kitchen.
    +1 to that. Also, don't forget that the oil/fat vapour in the air in a kitchen plays hell with HiFi components, especially any speakers with foam surrounds.

I'm Bill.

Any more thoughts?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123