+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: How good is a fully upgraded Technics SL-1210mk2 compared to other high end TT?

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Chris,

I'll come back to this later (as I've compared my modded Technics to quite a few high-end commercial T/Ts), but in the meantime, have a read at these threads:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-SP10-a-review

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...amichi-TX-1000

Those were some comparisons I carried out years ago when my T/T was in a far lower state of modification than it is now

Marco.
    Thank you Marco and for the links. I've read them before, but I read them again. And it's impreswive how the modified Technics compare to older hiend decks, yes. This is why I wonder if it can compare to modern high end/ top class TT.

Waiting for your response here

Turntable 1: Technics SL1210M5G/ KAB PSU/ KAB Fluid Damper
    Turntable 2: Rega P3 (new) Tangospinner & dual belt/ Rega Neo
    Amplifier: Rega Elex-R
    RIAA: Rega Fono mk3 & Schiit Mani
    Speaker: Klipsch RP280f
    Cartridge: Rega Exact & Nagaoka MP-110

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by sonddek View Post
    One afternoon I tried an XX-2/Uphorik with my SL1210/TimeStepHE/MikeNewBearing/EkosII, and with a Well Tempered Amadeus, versus a full Klimax Sondek (Radikal, Keel, Ekos SE, Akiva, Urika). There was very little in it, but I thought the 1210 held its own. It had the speed stability to match the WTA and very nearly as much detail as the Sondek. I felt the Sondek was the most detailed but least musical of the three decks due to the trademark speed instability, with subtle wobbling and de-tuning of sustained notes, and associated loss of melodic and harmonic tunefulness. The WTA was very musical but seemed very slightly to lack detail compared to the Ekossed decks. The Techie was about the best of both worlds: great detail and accurate pitch. If the playing field were leveled by putting the Ekos SE/Akiva on the Technics I would expect the Technics to match the Sondek for detail and win on speed stability/tunefulness.
    This is very impressive indeed. I guess the differense in price is huge between the Sondek and the Technics, too. Did you use the Mike New ETP platter or Oyaide?

And thank you for sharing

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKemp View Post
    Thank you Marco and for the links. I've read them before, but I read them again. And it's impreswive how the modified Technics compare to older hiend decks, yes. This is why I wonder if it can compare to modern high end/ top class TT.

Waiting for your response here
    Well, considering that the older high-end decks in question (those that were tested against my T/T) are better than about 90% of what's made today (especially the L0-7D), then that should answer your question!!

However, I will comment further in relation to current high-end turntables later.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Chris.

That would be great Marco That is why I write "compare". Because many say "my TT is better than"... Better is a very subjective word, and Rega RP-8/ P-9 owners will probably say that their TT is the best also. For me it sould be interesting to know what the differences are. An RP-8 is for sure a great TT. The same with Michell Gyro Deck or a JR Trans Rotor ZET-1 with their big and heavy platters and fantastic build and bearings. How would a fully upgraded 1200 compare to those newer decks?

I'm Andrei.

Chris
    This does not answer you question directly but is food for thought. Consider the various retailers who sell modded 1200s. What is the pricing for example by Inspire who do the Monarch turntable? MCRU and Origin Live also. There are others I am sure. The retail pricing of those TTs is not proof of their sonic value but is an indication of their perception of where they sit in the market.

Another way of looking at it is this: rather than look at the turntables as a whole consider what you want from a TT. My checklist would would go something like this:
    Speed Stability - low wow and flutter.
    Speed accuracy - how close it is to 33 and 45.
    Is it a good platform for a quality arm.
    Vibration control - lots of sources of bad vibes. Motor, bearing, platter, footfall, airborne, stylus itself.
    Quality of wiring.

So you can take turntable X and compare the essential features. If you can tick off each of your (modded) 1200's criteria as the equal of Turntable X; then - in theory at least - you have as good a turntable.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Chris.

You have some very good points there, Andrei

I'm Adam.

Hi Chris,

I'll come back to this later (as I've compared my modded Technics to quite a few high-end commercial T/Ts), but in the meantime, have a read at these threads:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-SP10-a-review

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...amichi-TX-1000

Those were some comparisons I carried out years ago when my T/T was in a far lower state of modification than it is now

Marco.
    And the latter one STILL awaiting the Nakamichi TX-1000 thoughts as far as I can see....
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKemp View Post
    This is very impressive indeed. I guess the differense in price is huge between the Sondek and the Technics, too. Did you use the Mike New ETP platter or Oyaide?
    No, I use a standard platter, but I have some sort of heavy plate which sits on top of it, and a rubber mat.

The effective prices of the three decks/phono-stages would roughly be:

Technics/Uphorik: 5350 GBP
    WTA/Uphorik: 5850 GBP
    Klimax Sondek: 15650 GBP

...but take into account that I have used the second-hand price of an Ekos II (1300 GBP) in that calculation, and a second-hand price of 100 GBP for the 1210 itself, because I got mine for 200 GBP with an OL modified RB250.

Around that time I also listened to Klimax Sondeks in other dealerships, and I thought the one used in this session was performing quite normally. After this listening session I decided that I would not spend any more on upgrading my own Sondek. I sold my Greenstreet subchassis, and use my Ekos II on my Technics and Garrard 301s.
    Richard.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    And the latter one STILL awaiting the Nakamichi TX-1000 thoughts as far as I can see....
    Heh-heh, indeed it is - it's a curse being so popular, you know!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Chris.

Well, considering that the older high-end decks in question (those that were tested against my T/T) are better than about 90% of what's made today (especially the L0-7D), then that should answer your question!!

However, I will comment further in relation to current high-end turntables later.

Marco.
    Hi Marco. Waking up this thread again and waiting on your comments...

Things have changed here a little, though. I sold my 1210mk2 (with the MN Bearing) and bought my friend's 1210mk5G. It has all the upgrades as my mk2 did, including the MN Bearing. The mk5G is one good looking TT Finally a shiny G for me too.

And since I desided to do the bearing upgrade I also desided to keep it. I think I will do the full upgrade with the ETP Platter also. My next upgrade will be a new Riaa and most likely the ASR Mini Basis Exclusive. But in the meantime I'm thinking of what kind of arm I should buy. As you know I have the fully modded KAB arm with the fluid damper.

I think I will go with a straight arm without removable headshell and the latest Audiomods arm comes to mind. I'm also curious about the Origin Live Silver. As for future cartridge I will probably go for a Zyx.

Audiomods or OL Silver? Or will a Jelco 750D be just as good? Any comments will be helpful

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast