+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tannoy GRF inspired built

I'm Maarten.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    In what way is it different to a GRF? Looks just like one to me.
    the photo of the plans should help.

I'm Maarten.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Nicely done Maarten. How do they sound? Not heard that particular driver.
    They're sounding great, The driver is a Beyma 15XA38Nd with the matching Beyma crossover. I've taken 1.5db out of the compression driver, as it was a bit too blight/loud (the crossover has this adjustment build-in). I've played everything from classical to rock to dub and back again, and I very pleased with their big sound.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
    They're sounding great, The driver is a Beyma 15XA38Nd with the matching Beyma crossover. I've taken 1.5db out of the compression driver, as it was a bit too blight/loud (the crossover has this adjustment build-in). I've played everything from classical to rock to dub and back again, and I very pleased with their big sound.
    A very interesting alternative to using vintage Tannoy. Must check that driver out...

I'm Steve.

Great looking pair of cabs - I'd really like to hear these to be able to compare with Tannoy drivers.
    Interesting on the tweeter attenuation too.
    They are great for all sorts of music listening, and I bet you find yourself doing just that - listening to the music...

Did you consider a tear drop baffle thingy in the throat? I put one in to a pair of BTH 18" dual backloaded horn cabs (ala GRF-R's) only bigger and it worked well.
    There is talk about it on the Tannoy hilberink site I think it is.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Geoff.

Just had a look online at those Beyma dual concentric drivers. Very interesting, sensible prices too. One of the 8" units looks good for a project I have in mind.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Maarten.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy.steve View Post
    Did you consider a tear drop baffle thingy in the throat? I put one in to a pair of BTH 18" dual backloaded horn cabs (ala GRF-R's) only bigger and it worked well.
    There is talk about it on the Tannoy hilberink site I think it is.
    Thanks for the reply Speedy.Steve. It was some of your boxes that inspired, and helped me decide to do this style of horn.

I'm not sure if this built would benefit too much from the 'teardrop'. The start of the horn mouth is only 40mm wide. The horn length is still similar to the GRF-R, but I cut down the actual volume of the horn, I didn't want too much colouration, or phase issues with upper bass through the horn. The speaker's bass response is pretty tight, but still extended and deep, which I'm happy with. I think some bassheads would benefit from a box with a slightly deeper dimension to accommodate a larger horn passage... but that said it's still a large folded horn (for home use) and I didn't want a box that was too boomy...

I'm happy to make to plans available, if anyone wants to build them...

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
    I'm happy to make to plans available, if anyone wants to build them...
    Yes please!

I'm Maarten.

I'm Timothy.

Very nice Maarten, I love the exposed ply edges on the front. Just a very nice looking design, I am sure the sound is just as nice! Enjoy! Tim

I'm Maarten.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast