Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Icon Audio vs Tisbury

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    If the cost difference is important, you can buy the Tisbury with confidence, imho - it really is a fine sounding passive pre in its own right regardless of comparisons.

But then Dave (synsei) likes his BTE passive at a similar price to the Tis, a bit cheaper I think, so that seems like a good call as well.
    Indeed it is Jerry. I took a bit of a leap of faith with the BTE but it paid off, My findings are that the BTE sounds a little more open and offers better bottom end performance in my system. Another factor which sealed it for me is that the Tisbury is tiny and some of my IC's are rather inflexible therefore the tail tended to wag the dog which I found a tad frustrating. Putting all that aside though, I would be more than comfortable owning a Tizzie if it were not for what I have now

I'm Martin.

I've had the Tisbury for a few weeks and now have NVA P90SA. The differences are quite marked and more than compensate for the additional cost of the NVA. The main difference in cost are the stepped attenuators and the silver wiring on the NVA. A few extra sockets is buttons by comparison.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm David.

Hi Martin, what differences have you noticed?

I'm Neil.

Default Icon Audio vs Tisbury

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've had the Tisbury for a few weeks and now have NVA P90SA. The differences are quite marked and more than compensate for the additional cost of the NVA. The main difference in cost are the stepped attenuators and the silver wiring on the NVA. A few extra sockets is buttons by comparison.
    Cool, have just gone for a P90sa myself so I can try biamping my 2x LFD power amps.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Martin.

The chief differences would be better bass quality, more impact from percussion, sweeter and more detailed top end. Also with the SA version it is easy to set volume exactly where you want it. With the Tisbury I had to be like a safe cracker trying to get that point between too quiet and too loud. it is quite a bit more money than the Tisbury or the BTE (which I have not tried) but if you are prepared and able to spend the extra I would highly recommend it. The lack of grain and glare in the sound is stunning.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Neil.

Lack of grain and glare, definitely two things that I highly value thanks for the interesting comments even more excited now...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm tony.

I have ordered a BTE with twin blue alps mono pots and silver wiring. When I get my mits on it and some hours under its belt I will write up my impressions in comparison to the tizzie with its stepped attenuator. I don't have any issues with the volume on the tizzie mine sits at 12 o clock and a couple of clicks either side lets me set it for loudness war CDs against golden oldies.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

What's inside the Tisbury?

Oh, just googled and it's an SMD stepped attenuator.

More googling looks like you can get the same attenuator via ebay for $15.50 with apparently free international shipping! http://www.ebay.com/itm/DACT-Type-SM...-/190844814249

DIY DIY DIY !

I'm andrew.

There is an Icon passive pre for sale on PFM for £215.
    What about this baby?
    http://www.angleaudio.co.uk/Single-i...-preamp_11.asp
    I think Peter Stockwell has one and rates it highly.
    Andy.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    I have ordered a BTE with twin blue alps mono pots and silver wiring. When I get my mits on it and some hours under its belt I will write up my impressions in comparison to the tizzie with its stepped attenuator. I don't have any issues with the volume on the tizzie mine sits at 12 o clock and a couple of clicks either side lets me set it for loudness war CDs against golden oldies.
    The gain issue will be system dependant - output voltage of the digital source, input sensitivity of the power amp and the sensitivity of the loudspeakers are all factors. I have always had gain issue with separate pre-amps regardless of active/passive and regardless of which power amp I use. I have had the same issue with some integrated amps (although not with the XTZ integrated) so please do not take my comments as referring specifically to the Tisbury. I bought my NVA P90 used and it had after-market 3rd party stepped attenuators fitted but I still had the gain issue. Once it was upgraded to the highest quality stepped attenuators as recommended by NVA the problem was solved.

Now I could almost have lived with the Tisbury since the step up in clarity over an active pre was significant but in my system there was simply an obvious lack of bass drive and impact that I could not ignore no matter how hard I tried. When I say impact as an example snares that are recorded to 'hit you between the eyes' just didn't - some may prefer that and some may not even notice depending on the sort of music they play. Again, that may well be system dependant. There is no real alternative to 'suck it and see' when it comes to these things so a home trial with the option to return if not satisfied is mandatory IMO. Either that or borrow one for a week or so from a helpful member. Either way I would suggest giving passive a go if you have not already tried it, you may find it to be a revelation.
    Current Lash Up:

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast