+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My first Sub woofer!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by kininigin View Post
    I very dubious about spending money on anything cheap now though!
    There's an increasing awareness about cheap PSUs causing more problems than they're worth.

Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Whoa,what the hell was that!?
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

An E-Cigarette turned torpedo.
    Damned thing killed the PSU charging it, and had a go at injuring the young lady behind the bar.
    She escaped with burns on her arm and also on her dress.
    The floor still bears the scars.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26958397
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    An E-Cigarette turned torpedo.
    Damned thing killed the PSU charging it, and had a go at injuring the young lady behind the bar.
    She escaped with burns on her arm and also on her dress.
    The floor still bears the scars.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26958397
    Ahh right,poor woman! If you want to smoke,smoke bloody tabacco! If you want to give up,then bloody give up!
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

Have a new psu ordered.Went for the one Chris linked to on ebay as it has a 1 year warranty as well.Hopefully this one doesn't melt on me! Can't wait to get the sub hooked up again! Have a week off work so can really see how it performs
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

Psu has turned up.It feels far more substantial then the last one,being almost twice as heavy about 1/3rd bigger and just feels of better quality! Let the fun begin...again!
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

There is no way i can go back to not using a sub now after listening to one in my system the last couple of days! The way it underpins music with a solid,clean and deep bass is amazing! It's in no way overbearing or taking focus off the other freq's.I still have a little setting up to do.Everynow and again i can slightly hear the sub on some freq's! I'm getting close to sorting that out though!

Do other's use subs? Is it intergrated well with the mains?

And yes Stan,it can keep up with the Bushmaster
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

I'm Martin.

Yes I am using a sub at the moment. I've had a few over the years. The trick is to tune it so you can't tell it is there which sounds counter-intuitive but too much sub and it mucks up the illusion of image and soundstage and it sounds like you are listening to a system rather than just the recording. I start high then back it off and I use typical rock recordings, not bass-heavy material, to tune it in. Once it sounds right with them it will sound right with anything.

Although I can't hear it in the room if I go in the back or upstairs it is quite noticeable. Not sure what my neighbours are making of it...
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yes I am using a sub at the moment. I've had a few over the years. The trick is to tune it so you can't tell it is there which sounds counter-intuitive but too much sub and it mucks up the illusion of image and soundstage and it sounds like you are listening to a system rather than just the recording. I start high then back it off and I use typical rock recordings, not bass-heavy material, to tune it in. Once it sounds right with them it will sound right with anything.

Although I can't hear it in the room if I go in the back or upstairs it is quite noticeable. Not sure what my neighbours are making of it...
    I've been using a mixture of music and at different levels! The only time i 'hear' the sub is on certain Drum and bass/dub tracks! The sub has opened up my sounstage even more! Not sure how or why this is,but it's an added bonus! Yeah i've been trying to get the balance right between how deep the bass goes against the loudness and think i'm pretty much there on that front! I was a little worried about it not being fast enough to keep up with the mains but i don't need to worry about that what so ever! The claims of this sub being especially suited to music is spot on!

I've had no complaints from anyone yet,mind you,no neighbours are home,so it's party time for me at the moment
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

Bit of an update.After trying a few various positions with the sub,i have now settled on a position which gives the best balance! I've been fiddling with the settings foe a few weeks now and think i have got it just right! I have to say that the reference 20's and servo 15 make a formidable partnership Amazing transparency,bags full of control,not a hint of distortion no matter the levels and a very natural presentation!

I'm totally overjoyed at what they can do and wouldn't dream of changing them for anything else I think i would have to spend far,far,far more on a modern equivalent to better what i have,than what i spent to get the paradigms!!

It's a shame they brought out the reference 20's when they did,as they would sell like hot cakes in today's market place! I can see why you never see any for sale (took me 3yrs to get the reference 20's and 4+yrs to get the servo 15!).

As value for money items,these have to be up there!
    Last edited by kininigin; 03-05-2014 at 12:26.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234