+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glastonbury 2009 - Was it good for you?

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason P View Post
    100,000 people can (and often do) have 100,000 different festivals, there's just so much to see and do...
    Would you believe I went there and saw no music at all? We still had a fantastic time; up in the Green Fields and Avalon areas. I do wish I'd seen a couple of bands in particular, but we were on the go 100% of the time... The joys of two young 'uns. Next year we're getting them ear protectors so they can't complain about the noise
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason P View Post
    It's funny, and I suppose symptomatic of somewhere like Glastonbury (or Pilton as we locals call it) that you can't please all the people. I was running a bar there (for charidee, mate) and we had loads of people in berating what they thought was a poor set by the man - I'd say a significant majority were negative. It kinda made me feel less gutted at having to miss him, but I did find it strange that such a 'stadium legend' could go down badly at Glasters.

That's the wonderful thing about Glastonbury - big and unwieldy as it is, 100,000 people can (and often do) have 100,000 different festivals, there's just so much to see and do...

Jason
    You were there, whereas I was not; so I can only relate to what I saw on TV and heard. Certainly the audience nearest the crash barrier in front of the stage seemed to be more than enthusiastic; but then I suppose they wouldn't have been there if they weren't. Whilst during the applause I did heard some booing, I put this down to what I thought was a poor PA. As I mentioned, the sound during Springsteen's turn was definitely a bit 'odd': unbalanced and disconnected. However I was really taken with his appearence.

So - just me then.

Regards
    Barry

I'm Jason.

Not just you Barry - the other thing is that the TV presentation can often get over the 'not connecting with the audience' bit.

I saw the Fleet Foxes set. I'm a huge fan of their music, I think the album is brilliant, but their set was hard work. They sounded brilliant, played wonderfully, but the Pyramid Stage just wasn't the place for them to be appreciated at their best and a lot of people were nonplussed.

Best bit of the festival for me was happening across a performance of beatboxing by a guy called MC Xander. He was performing on a small, outdoor stage at a crossroads of two paths, but captivated maybe 300 passers by with sheer musical brilliance, even though hip-hop & drum and bass aren't my thing...

MC Xander

Jason
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Nick.

Wow he is goood!

I've been a fan of Killa Kela since hearing him support the Super Furry Animals... this guy has two brains and two mouths, I swear...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Qt27pUisc
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hello Jason,

I heard about MC Xander on the Radio 4 arts programme: 'Front Row', yesterday evening and was impressed. Have just viewed the YouTube clip of your link, and it occurred to me that this guy is someone you have to see; just listening to his work I do not think would do him justice.

Do you agree?

Regards
    Barry

I'm Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    it occurred to me that this guy is someone you have to see; just listening to his work I do not think would do him justice.
    Absolutely. It's a kind of disbelief at first, followed by an almost involuntary laughter/cheering/applause - a bit like someone doing truly unbelievable acrobatics or juggling. It was one of those moments when you marvel at the talent and ingenuity of some people... what the festival is all about for me. He really did have the crowd, and to do that when it was a bunch of passers by takes some doing. I got his CD, mainly to support him (it was only a fiver) and because I genuinely liked his compositions, but it won't have the wow factor of actually seeing the man live.

Jason
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12