+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which amp?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Dunno, not heard one. Wasn't embarrassed by my 103r though. Yes, the Denon had a little more air and space at the top end, but the Acutex equals or betters it everywhere else to my ears, a great result given the cost methinks.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Oh, and does stonking bass.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm James.

Now I just need to find one...none on eBay at the moment.

I'm Andy.

How would you rate the Arcam FMJA18 for my needs?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by selby View Post
    Now I just need to find one...none on eBay at the moment.
    Here you go-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TESTINA-AC...item3cde0b7f80

You need to search worldwide. I've bought two from him. Google the cart, there's a lot of love for it on the vinyl forums.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Worth buying one for a spare if nothing else. I suspect you'll change your mind about t being a spare once you hear it though..

Hunter S Thompson

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by ballymenaman View Post
    How would you rate the Arcam FMJA18 for my needs?
    I am not familiar with your particular speakers but the Focals I know thrive on clean, hefty power; don't know if the A18 would be an ideal choice or match. Plus, Arcam and Primare have a rather distinctly different sonic signature (though admittedly I haven't heard that many Arcam products).

I'm guy.

Hi Balleymenaman,

I have a Denon PMA350 SE which I use in the study (with mac mini and a pair of TDL RTL2). It sounds fine but not in the same class as the Naim or Onix amps which I was using in my main system until recently (LP12, Ittok, DV20X, Rega Ela).

However, I have been lucky enough to get an NVA P50, A40 monoblock system second hand and that has changed my perception (all for the better) of both my vinyl collection and remainder of my system (Even makes my CD player more enjoyable ). Pisses all over the Naim Nait and Onix in terms of detail retrieval, pace, balance, soundstage, perception of rhythm etc. I have enjoyed tracks on albums that I would normally avoid thanks to the presentation of the NVA amps.
    I use it in conjunction with an Edwards Apprentice phono stage for vinyl and total set up came in at way below £600.

Worth having a look for NVA on Ebay - direct sales, so better value, and money back if not satisfied in any way (can't say better than that in my view).
    There is an NVA P50 A40 set available second hand on another forum at present, which would come in below your target.

best wishes in your search. Guy.

I'm Andy.

There's a Primare 30.1 for sale on this forum - would that sound the same as the i21? Does £500 sound reasonable for it?

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by ballymenaman View Post
    There's a Primare 30.1 for sale on this forum - would that sound the same as the i21? Does £500 sound reasonable for it?
    The 30.1, though an older design, is a very, very good amplifier - good grip and plenty of power. If it's in mint condition, 500 would indeed be quite reasonable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast