+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The New M2Tech Young/DSD DAC arrives!

I'm Keith.

Si is it very different from the Mdac?
    Delivery expected next week, price will be the same as the original Young dac £950 inc vat and insured delivery.
    Keith.
    Cessaro Horn Acoutics,David Wright ,Mola-Mola , Weiss MAN301,Dynavector XV1- Manger Loudspeakers Grimm Audio LS1,worlds best sounding loudspeaker.
    Mini DSP digital signal processing.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

I'm Keith.

As well as variable analogue output, ( which is extremely useful to implement a useable gain structure ) and an analogue attenuator, which is controlled digitally, the Young/DSD's D/A protocol has been completely redesigned , I have been asked about the sound of the new Young , it has a bold ,robust quality, it appears to really project the sound into the room, background is extremely quiet, it reminds me of M2Tech's Vaughan dac their statement product and one of the best dacs I have heard.
    This is from the M2Tech website, 'young/DSD page.
    'The Young DSD is a very high resolution digital-to-analog converter with extremely high value-for-money, capable of handling PCM up to 384/32 and DSD up to x128. It features an USB Audio Device Class 2 interface to transfer high resolution audio from every computer. Legacy S/PDIF, AES/EBU and optical inputs are also provided which handle both PCM (up to 192/24) and DSD64. The Young DSD inherits the old Young’s proprietary oversampling scheme for PCM based on a FPGA (field programmable gate array). A 32 bits D/A integrated circuit is used in a non-conventional mode to allow for 705.6/768kHz internal operation in PCM and 5.6448MHz in DSD. The synergy between the DAC IC and the custom oversampler allows for exceptionally low noise floor and THD. A high resolution analog volume control IC with digital control is used. To avoid inserting too many stages on the signal path which would reduce the sound quality, a unique passive anti-alias filter is used in place of the usual opamp buffer, together with a special current mode offset cancellation circuit which makes I/V converter operate with greater symmetry and lower THD. Output voltage can be set by the user to suit the needs of any device downstream the Young DSD, be it a preamplifier, a high sensitivity solid state power amplifier or a low sensitivity tube power amplifier. Both balanced and single ended (using the stock adaptors) outputs are available. A full-loaded remote control allows user to easily operate the Young DSD from the sweet spot. HID protocol is also enabled over USB, allowing user to control the computer player with the dedicated keys on the remote control. '

Keith.
    Cessaro Horn Acoutics,David Wright ,Mola-Mola , Weiss MAN301,Dynavector XV1- Manger Loudspeakers Grimm Audio LS1,worlds best sounding loudspeaker.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

I'm Keith.

Donald at Musicarch and Paul at Purité North will have the first examples for evaluation/loan/ demonstration.
    Keith.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

I'm Gary.

Be interested to know how it compares to the original Young, purely just as a Dac?
    Have one (slightly modded) running one of Simons linear power supplies.

The preamp facility interests me as further down the line I'll be replacing my valve integrated with a pair of valve monoblocks.
    digital preamp with that sounds like a plan.

I'm Keith.

Gary the new Young has variable analogue output, which is really useful in setting the overall gain of your system, the volume control is analogue but controlled digitally, sound quality well you would have to compare own and new at home.
    I don't think you would be disappointed though.
    Keith.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

I'm Simon.

Gaz, I think Keith is underselling the volume control, it's very good, utterly transparent in operation. The difference between it and the digital attenuation on the Mdac becomes increasingly apparent as you wind the volume lower and lower. Analogue attenuation proves itself to be the better option if like me you regularly listen at lower than -10db.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Keith.

Simon yes you are right!

Variable analogue output and analogue attenuator.
    As well as variable analogue output,which is extremely useful in setting the overall gain structure of your system the new Young /DSD has a digitally controlled ANALOGUE attenuator, which does not shed bits as the volume is reduced, plus a full featured remote which as well as the usual dac functions can also control your playback software.
    The new Young/DSD is a superb bit of kit.
    Keith.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

I'm Keith.

Variable analogue output from 2.5 Vrms to 10vrms, a proper digitally controlled analogue attenuator, completely galvonically isolated , a remote which as well as controlling volume, balance, phase etc, can select previous and next track, play stop ,pause etc.
    The sound quality is superb, with a completely redesigned digital/analogue circuit.
    Keith.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

I'm Gary.

sounds fantastic, my next Dac (probably!)

I'm Keith.

Gary I will send you one to try, I would genuinely be interested to hear your thoughts, the original Young has been discontinued and I don't have a unit here to compare the old with the new.
    KR Keith.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12