+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Techie 1210 Tonearm questions & options

I'm Toby.

Default Techie 1210 Tonearm questions & options

My SL1210Mk2 is asking me for the next upgrade! So far it has Isonoe's, KAB fluid damping, external power, achromat, Sumiko HS (ordered, due to arrive today), 2M Blue (currently on Ortofon hs). Pitch control disabled (it failed, so shorted it out of circuit) FYI it runs through a V90-LPS. I'd like to do something with the tonearm, either a rewire and "stuff" (is that the term?) with damping material, or get a new arm.

I want to retain the ability to plug & play new headshells/carts, so want to keep the bayonet method. I'd quite like to retain the VTA - but maybe could live without that. I'm sure these questions have been asked before, so maybe you could point me at the relevant thread (I have tried looking but there are loads and some are very very long!)

Which is the best kit & instructions for doing the re-wire? I hear it is really fiddly, so I'd like to read through the destructions first, before deciding to do it, or not...

Alternatively, which is the best arm for about ~£500? I'm thinking Jelco 750D. How does the vta work on that? Is there a good place to buy arm, plate and all the "bits" I'll need plus instructions? Don't want to end up with an arm that doesn't fit the plate and neither fits my tt! Do I have to do all the "rewire" on the new arm anyway or does it come wired?

Both these options seem far from straightforward, so I want to make sure I understand them both before I take the leap!

Thanks in advance...

I'm Andy.

You seem to have answered your own question Toby. l would say the Jelco is the next logical step.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Toby.

Does the Jelco need to be a specific length or are they all the same?

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by TobesEtc View Post
    I want to retain the ability to plug & play new headshells/carts, so want to keep the bayonet method. I'd quite like to retain the VTA - but maybe could live without that. I'm sure these questions have been asked before, so maybe you could point me at the relevant thread (I have tried looking but there are loads and some are very very long!)
    The Jelco will allow you to change headshells. Go to http://www.jelco-ichikawa.co.jp/e_tone_arm.htm and you will see that the 750D is the appropriate length. The VTA on the Jelco is a bit fiddly so do not get that if you are wanting to change it all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by TobesEtc View Post
    Alternatively, which is the best arm for about ~£500? I'm thinking Jelco 750D. How does the vta work on that? Is there a good place to buy arm, plate and all the "bits" I'll need plus instructions? Don't want to end up with an arm that doesn't fit the plate and neither fits my tt! Do I have to do all the "rewire" on the new arm anyway or does it come wired?
    You will need a mounting board and also it is recommended that you get an aftermarket collar. Go to http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...orrect-azimuth to see why.

For wiring you will need Tonearm Wire. The Jelco does come with internal wiring, that is to say it has copper wiring from the end of the arm-tube running to the bottom of the tonearm mount. From there you would need a tonearm wire that has a straight din connector. Jelco make one http://www.jelco-ichikawa.co.jp/e_cable.htm and so do Oyaide and many others.

The Tonearm, Collar, Mounting Board, Tonearm wire can be bought in one place if you like. You have probably checked out http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/1...-up-grade-dept

Actually the Technics arm is pretty decent. Once it is rewired and with a good headshell then it does not have too many weaknesses. My experience is that the Jelco is a big improvement over the stock technics arm but only a small improvement if you have done all the upgrades such as damping, headshell, internal wiring and tonearm wire. Just don't be a numpty like me - I did the technics tonearm improvements and then changed the whole tonearm.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Spartacus.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    Actually the Technics arm is pretty decent. Once it is rewired and with a good headshell then it does not have too many weaknesses. My experience is that the Jelco is a big improvement over the stock technics arm but only a small improvement if you have done all the upgrades such as damping, headshell, internal wiring and tonearm wire.
    Haven't heard the Jelco but agree about the SL1200 arm. I've just rewired mine and would recommend this as a first step, especially if you can solder.
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm Jim.

The arm rewire is fantastic. Highly recommended.

Rewire illustrated guide-- http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analo...ml#post3559465

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...165#post462165. Same guide, just here at AOS.
    Last edited by 6L6; 16-03-2014 at 14:02. Reason: Added link

+ Reply to Thread