+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sleeper Amps

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Either that or those made by Urei or Klark-Technik.

It used to amuse me when Naim Audio made a big thing of excluding tone controls when promoting their preamps: claiming that the presence of tone controls interfered with the sound. Agreed, most Baxandall-style tone controls were crude and of little use, but the real reason Naim dispensed with tone controls in their NAC12 preamp was because they fully expected it to be used with graphic equaliser! (And claimed so in their promotional literature.)
    Just goes to show how history gets re-written...

The only issue I have with my graphic equaliser is that it doesn't have enough buttons and lights. Anyone got a spectrum analyser they don't want?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffy View Post
    Just sold my Sony TA FB940R QS amp today so am on the look out now.
    Bit silly- detention for you young man.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Rob.

I'm currently using a Rotel RA-04, it's bloody good and has a fine built in phonostage.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    Bit silly- detention for you young man.
    Its the second 940 I've owned. I get bored after a while and fancy a change about.
    Can I get off the naughty step yet?

I'm guy.

[QUOTE=Barry;533191]Either that or those made by Urei or Klark-Technik.

It used to amuse me when Naim Audio made a big thing of excluding tone controls when promoting their preamps: claiming that the presence of tone controls interfered with the sound. Agreed, most Baxandall-style tone controls were crude and of little use, but the real reason Naim dispensed with tone controls in their NAC12 preamp was because they fully expected it to be used with graphic equaliser! (And claimed so in their promotional literature.)[/QUOTE]

Interesting, I don't remember that - do you have a link or scan available?

Thanks. Guy

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry
    Either that or those made by Urei or Klark-Technik.

It used to amuse me when Naim Audio made a big thing of excluding tone controls when promoting their preamps: claiming that the presence of tone controls interfered with the sound. Agreed, most Baxandall-style tone controls were crude and of little use, but the real reason Naim dispensed with tone controls in their NAC12 preamp was because they fully expected it to be used with graphic equaliser! (And claimed so in their promotional literature.)
    Interesting, I don't remember that - do you have a link or scan available?

Thanks. Guy
    I'll have a look - I have some of Naim's early literature. Their original market was aimed at the broadcast and recording industry. I first became aware of Naim Audio after seeing an advertisment for their NAP 200 power amplifier (forerunner to the NAP 250) in 'Studio Sound'.
    Barry

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'll have a look - I have some of Naim's early literature. Their original market was aimed at the broadcast and recording industry. I first became aware of Naim Audio after seeing an advertisment for their NAP 200 power amplifier (forerunner to the NAP 250) in 'Studio Sound'.
    Cheers, I tend to forget about the broadcast equipment origins of Naim

I'm James.

This is all I've been able to find from the early days :

I guess the adverts Barry saw pre-dated these by a few years.

I'm gone.

I've been more than a little bit amazed by the sq on offer from an Audio Innovations Alto amp - picked up on ebay for less than a £ton.
    I am given to understand that you need to get an early version, which is what I have, not the later Richer Sounds models.
    Even then Macca will tell you they are rubbish.
    But I like mine very much.

I'm Geoff.

These:

Real 'sleepers'! Probably the biggest amp bargains out there. The Monarchy Audio SM-70 and SM-70 Pro pure Class A power amplifiers. I have both and they sound wonderful, regardless of price.

Link to a brief review that sums it all up: http://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/A...al/103128.html

Other review extracts: http://www.monarchyaudio.com/SM70_Main_frame.htm
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast