+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeper Amps

I'm John.

Default Sleeper Amps

I'm having a complete re-hash of my system and have put lots of it up for sale.
    I will need a new (or used) integrated amp and expect to spend around £150.00 on it.

Does anyone know anything about the new Sansui SAP 201V. This model has been discounted by 50% and seems a bargain.
    There are also various Onkyo models around the same price I've looked at. (A9155 & A9030).
    Used vintage Sansui's and Sony ES models are also fairly easily got at this price.

I listen mainly to Rock, can't stand an overly bright sound and it will be paired with Tannoy Mercury V4's.
    How do you feel about the whole vintage v's new debate? I would like a great amp for not a lot of money.

I realise there are few questions in here but any advice/thoughts would be great.
    Last edited by Stiffy; 10-03-2014 at 13:30. Reason: error

I'm Martin.

I would go used rathr than new. And you'll need something that is not afraid to swing a bit of current to drive those Tannoy. Sony ES probabaly a good starting point. You could also check out AV receivers since they seem to hold nothing of their value once a couple of years old you can pick them up dirt cheap on ebay. Just get one that has a 2 channel direct option to bypass the internal DAC and that doesn't have a shedload of crossover distortion: Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, or Marantz. With some of the Onkyo receivers you can bridge the unused channels into 2 channel for more power.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm nigel.

whilst I agree with almost all of the last post, can I add a note of caution regarding 'older' AV amps.
    I recently bought...and VERY rapidly discarded a all singing, all dancing AV receiver from pioneer.
    my intention was to use it as you are being advised...in direct stereo mode with all the processing gubbins switched out.
    as this receiver was less than 7 years old and one of the AIR STUDIO tuned models my thinking was at 110 quid and well over 100wpc I was one to a winner.....oh what a shock!!!
    even with PURE DIRECT with turns of ALL digital effects, tone etc, the sound was shockingly bad and lets just say bright is putting it mildly.
    probably a very good buy for home cinema....this model had HDMI so was not too old....but as a stereo model....nope.

I'm Paul.

Used every time. Look out for a good used Denon PMA350UK spec model. Built like a battleship, really well designed and will do rock all day long with the Mercury V4's (a great match in fact). Built in phonostage and remote control too. Expect to pay about £100. Sony ES models ok providing they're the higher spec models.

I'm Andrew.

Any decent powered Sony would be my vote, dont get too hung up on ES. TA-FB930R or 940R would be good boxes to own for instance.

I'm Hal.

+1 for an old AV receiver. Had a really old, late 80s Pioneer and to my surprise found it surprisingly easy to sit in front of. Guess every brand has good and bad models and I must have struck a good one.

Hal55
    Without music, powerboat racing, photography and a whole stack of other stuff that floats my boat, life is just a non stop procession of deadlines and bills.

I'm James.

All good recommendations so far but I will say: Not all Denon PMA-350's have internal phono stage's, Its generally assumed they do but I've seen more without than with. The PMA-355UK would be a better bet IMO [its basically a 350SE with relay input switching, remote control & every one has a phono stage ]

AV amps, some are great but most are crap... Simple as that. If you do take this route I would suggest looking for an Arcam [either AVR-100 or AVR-200] They sound pretty good on 2 channel & can be picked up for under £100.

I'm lee.

Pioneer A400, Cyrus streightline both very good amps
    J.Wood intergrated, Electrocompaniet EMC1up, Snell Ci. Harmonic and Chord cables.

I'm John.

Post-Farlowe Exposure take some beating in terms of VFM. Wonderful sound, very reliable and a nice 2010 integrated can easily be found for around £150.
    With rare exceptions, vintage solid state Japanese amps sound poor IME.

I'm John.

Just sold my Sony TA FB940R QS amp today so am on the look out now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast