+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What amp do you use to run your sub?

I'm Alex.

Default What amp do you use to run your sub?

I have a Klipsch Sub-10 subwoofer in which the plate amp died years ago.

Am i better off buying another plate amp or something external?

Can i have some ideas of what people run for their subs? The original amp was 230W RMS.

I'm ILOB.

I use a Berhinger Inuke 1000 with DSP that works a lot better than a plate amp (was using a the top of the range BK plate amp) due to the amount of control you have over the bass but might be overkill
    You have to do a mod to the fan as its very noisy so understand if you not want to go this route ( I have taken the fan out of the system as these amps are meant for driving pa systems so no heat issues)
    You could also get something like a Rotel power amp and use a external active crossover as another alternative
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Alex.

I don't mind if i have to open it up to mod/remove the fan. The Behringer looks good except it's $400-500 over in Australia.
    I've had a look online and the can be bought for under $250 in the U.S. but i cant run them cause they are 110V not 240V.

I'd love a Rotel but they are a bit more than what i'd like to spend. If i went that far i'd probably be buying/building a different sub to run.

I don't suppose you have any 240V suggestions. Preferably something below $300 if possible.

I'm Alex.

The Crown XLS1000 seems to have multiple voltage input and crossover built in.

Do you think this would be OK still? Is it as good as the behringer?

I'm ILOB.

The Crown is supposed to be good you might have similar issues with the fan
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    The Crown is supposed to be good you might have similar issues with the fan
    That's OK. I don't mind opening it up. The fan is variable speed by the looks so maybe be quiet when idling.

Is there a thread or website showing how to mod the fans if required somewhere?

I'm ILOB.

I took the fan out but others have added a resistor
    No threads on AOS around this but their is one somewhere on the web.....but cannot find it....sorry

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I use a Berhinger Inuke 1000 with DSP that works a lot better than a plate amp (was using a the top of the range BK plate amp) due to the amount of control you have over the bass but might be overkill
    You have to do a mod to the fan as its very noisy so understand if you not want to go this route ( I have taken the fan out of the system as these amps are meant for driving pa systems so no heat issues)
    You could also get something like a Rotel power amp and use a external active crossover as another alternative
    +1,

Crown amps are affordable, well designed power amps and should be well suited to driving a sub. Disabling the fan or modding the circuit for slower running is an option but decent ventilation is still recommended (ie don't enclose them).

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    +1,

Crown amps are affordable, well designed power amps and should be well suited to driving a sub. Disabling the fan or modding the circuit for slower running is an option but decent ventilation is still recommended (ie don't enclose them).
    Good to hear. I think i will go with one of these then. At least this will cover me if i build a bigger/better sub to replace the Klipsch. If the fan is not to loud i will put up with it. Hopefully all good,

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread