+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The magic of Culzean

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    .............in the meantime, they'll have to make do with playing the album by Mr Kossof & Co.

That's one argument I'm not getting into - the things I was held personally responsible for as an Englishman living in Scotland, you wouldn't believe!

Maggie Thatcher testing out the Poll Tax north of the Border?...........that was one of mine (apparently)!!

It wasn't ?...not what I heard decision enacted by "The parliament of trees "

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    It wasn't ?...not what I heard decision enacted by "The parliament of trees "

Regards D S D L
    You've been listening to Rush again haven't you, you naughty Dalek, you!

I'm Confused.

Smile

"Anyway how does it feel to live in a country invaded and conquered by the Dutch ?"

Sorry if I'm just thick, or if my history knowledge is not what it should be (or maybe just another Senior moment), but the above quote has sailed straight over me.
    My recollection of my history lessons is that we (English) were so fed up of stopping the Scots trying to move south to somewhere more palatable that we invited a large sub-contractor, based in the Italian capital as I recall, to come in and build a wall to keep them out. As usual, (maybe they set the precedent ), having filled the countryside with illegal foreign workers it took us ages, (centuries even), to get them to go home.

Note for Admin and Mods: this is intended as a joke - sorry Marco, I just couldn't resist it - naughty of me I know !!
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave&Sue View Post
    "Anyway how does it feel to live in a country invaded and conquered by the Dutch ?"

Sorry if I'm just thick, or if my history knowledge is not what it should be (or maybe just another Senior moment), but the above quote has sailed straight over me.
    My recollection of my history lessons is that we (English) were so fed up of stopping the Scots trying to move south to somewhere more palatable that we invited a large sub-contractor, based in the Italian capital as I recall, to come in and build a wall to keep them out. As usual, (maybe they set the precedent ), having filled the countryside with illegal foreign workers it took us ages, (centuries even), to get them to go home.

Note for Admin and Mods: this is intended as a joke - sorry Marco, I just couldn't resist it - naughty of me I know !!
    William of Orange invaded the south of England marched on London drove all the English soldiers out and took the throne...he did marry Mary Stuart...which gave him away in to remove James.

Link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_III_of_England

Its funny how this bit of English History is overlooked...how many invasions ohhh Romans, Normans and thats it....nope The Dutch too

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Confused.

Smile

Hi Neil,
    Thanks for increasing my knowledge of English history - I found the link very interesting and informative - the first 300 pages anyway !! I will speed-read the remaining majority next time I am incarcerated in hospital . However I feel that I must correct you, based on the information you supplied !!. The Dutch guy didn't invade us - no one in their right mind, not even a Dutchman, would invade England (a major world power at the time, if not the major world power), with a force of 14,000, 10,000 of whom were on foot. He was invited to come, he arrived with a mere nobleman's entourage when travelling , and was welcomed by all and sundry. It reads as if not a shot was fired, unless it was in celebration after their 'Welcome' party.!!
    Cheers for now,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Neil.

Hi Neil,
    Thanks for increasing my knowledge of English history - I found the link very interesting and informative - the first 300 pages anyway !! I will speed-read the remaining majority next time I am incarcerated in hospital . However I feel that I must correct you, based on the information you supplied !!. The Dutch guy didn't invade us - no one in their right mind, not even a Dutchman, would invade England (a major world power at the time, if not the major world power), with a force of 14,000, 10,000 of whom were on foot. He was invited to come, he arrived with a mere nobleman's entourage when travelling , and was welcomed by all and sundry. It reads as if not a shot was fired, unless it was in celebration after their 'Welcome' party.!!
    Cheers for now,
    Sorry Dave typical English man answer...a foreign king Dutch took the English thrown from the King. He landed with a foreign army seized control of London and whether or not shots were fired (its my understanding that some fighting did take part on a small scale)...so it was an invasion...James did not invite them. The Dutch teach their kids it was an invasion, the best kind one, that you win with little loss. IMHO it was

Sorry but the Dutch along with the French were a major force in the world then....England was on the up but not what it would be later on.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 25-06-2009 at 22:17.
    Regards Neil

I'm Confused.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Sorry Dave typical English man answer...Am I to take it then that you are not fortunate enough to be born English ? That would explain a lot a foreign king Dutch took the English thrown (thrown?? - I assume that this is what is called a "Freudian slip" as you realise he was actually handed the throne (maybe even thrown it ?) by the vast majority of the population. from the King. He landed with a foreign army seized (was gifted) control of London and whether or not shots were fired (its my understanding that some fighting did take part on a small scale (yes, most likely drunken Dutch men fighting amongst themselves after getting drunk during the 'Welcome' party thrown for them by the grateful residents )...so it was an invasion...James did not invite them. (Nahhh, James might not have invited him, why should he - it would have been like a turkey voting for Christmas !!
    The Dutch teach their kids it was an invasion, the best kind one, that you win with little loss. IMHO it was Get real !! We teach our kids that the BEF and Dunkirk were wonderful victotries but every thinking person knows they were unmitigated disasters !! Typical British (English ?) propaganda, put out so that the thick plebs (us) don't turn on the 'donkeys' who lead (?) the 'lions' (our predecessors) and string them up from the lamp posts, which is what they so richly deserved,IMO.

Sorry but the Dutch along with the French were a major force in the world then....England was on the up but not what it would be later on. (but everyone new that our potential would be quickly realised once we had got rid of the 'donkey' King who was holding us back !!)

Regards D S D L
    Put another way, history is in the mind of the historian.
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:

I'm Neil.

Put another way, history is in the mind of the historian.
    Cheers,
    True.... or the victors write it.

Yes actually I was born in Lincolnshire but my blood is half French, and the other half (apparently) pure Celtic Irish...in fact the family history can be traced back to the ancient Kings of Munster.

James was the rightful heir of the English crown then...so whether he was popular or not doesn't count....IMHO A foreign king took the throne....it was an invasion

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Confused.

Nahhhh!, never !!
    DaveK.

My System:

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Am I to take it then that you are not fortunate enough to be born English ? That would explain a lot...
    Excuse me while I puke!

Oh for that sorry fate to be bestowed upon any poor individual...

Long live the Celts!!

Marco.

P.S Great pictures, Neil.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast