+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fidelity Research FR64S anti-skate

I'm Jay.

Default Fidelity Research FR64S anti-skate

I recently got my hands on an FR64S to partner with an SPU, and finally got 'round to setting it up. I noticed on mine that the anti-skate lever assembly seems loose, and doesn't appear to engage in any position - it just sits at the lowest point. I assume that means it's duff, and wonder if anyone knows of a way to fix it?

I'm Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jaym481 View Post
    I recently got my hands on an FR64S to partner with an SPU, and finally got 'round to setting it up. I noticed on mine that the anti-skate lever assembly seems loose, and doesn't appear to engage in any position - it just sits at the lowest point. I assume that means it's duff, and wonder if anyone knows of a way to fix it?
    Here's how it should work (see blue arrows)

Is your arm missing the horizontal post that pushes the lever backwards?

incidentally this collar was from a 64fx. I had to have some of it machined away to get the full range of movement on my 'S'

I'm gordan.

is the string attached?

btw if it's a regular SPU with a big shell, you probably don't need anti skating. at least i don't use it in 64fx. too heavy, i think the combination of the arm and the pickup is over 60g.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    is the string attached?

btw if it's a regular SPU with a big shell, you probably don't need anti skating. at least i don't use it in 64fx. too heavy, i think the combination of the arm and the pickup is over 60g.
    FR64S doesn't have string. The bias mech is quite different to that on the Fx.

I'm Dave.

The bias hangs down until the arm moves to the record edge, when the pin fitted to the bearing assembly contacts the bias mechanism. This rotates the bias and applies the appropriate force. Simple and effective.

I'm Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    The bias hangs down until the arm moves to the record edge, when the pin fitted to the bearing assembly contacts the bias mechanism. This rotates the bias and applies the appropriate force. Simple and effective.
    Thank you Guy and Dave! I just checked and yes, the mechanism moves as I move the arm towards the record, so I guess I'm good. I was a bit mystified as the manual seems to suggest that the lever has a couple of positions that it locks into when doing the setup. Or maybe my reading of "Japenglish" missed something somewhere.

I'm Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    is the string attached?

Thanks Gordan, but as mentioned there's no string on the '64S. As for the need for A-S, I realize there are differences of opinion, and at SPU tracking forces it's probably not making any sonic difference, but the skating force is still there, and I guess I'm just a wee bit paranoid about possible effects on stylus wear. Plus I'd like to use other carts with it, which track a bit lighter.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

If bias correction is supplied it should always be used, regardless of the length of the tonearm or of the mass of the cartridge/headshell.

What is worth experimenting with, is the actual amount of bias: don't blindly follow the scale on the bias way-rod. Use a test record - your ears will tell you when have the correct bias setting. More often than not, I find the bias needs to be set to around half the value of the VTF.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread