+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with LP12 upgrade

I'm Pan.

Would it be wise to change the Jelco cable for something like one of Yannis' cables and change the headshell to the Oyaide?

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Junglefire View Post
    Would it be wise to change the Jelco cable for something like one of Yannis' cables and change the headshell to the Oyaide?
    I have done both and the answer is a definite yes for the Yannis cable. I think the headshell depends on what cartridge you will be using. I am using it with my Decca Blue/Deccapod and it performs very well in comparison to the Sumiko I was using before but that was also sans Deccapod so A/B comparison is difficult.
    Always a little further

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post

The 150 should be given equal billing to the Ortofon 2M Black, I really don't get why it's ignored.
    +1
    I had one and thought it brilliant for all the strengths you mention then I FUBARD the cantilever and was heart broken. From what I remember they were only available from Japan ( I bought mine from there anyway) - perhaps the "have to return to Japan warranty" puts folk off recommending it?
    Always a little further

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    +1
    I had one and thought it brilliant for all the strengths you mention then I FUBARD the cantilever and was heart broken. From what I remember they were only available from Japan ( I bought mine from there anyway) - perhaps the "have to return to Japan warranty" puts folk off recommending it?
    http://www.audiotechnicashop.com/ind...product_id=485

BTW don't buy AT from Henley Designs or any UK retailer as they sell way above the official EU price.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    http://www.audiotechnicashop.com/ind...product_id=485

BTW don't buy AT from Henley Designs or any UK retailer as they sell way above the official EU price.
    £276.85 - absolute bargain!
    Always a little further

I'm Clive.

I got mine from: http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATC0150MLX.html

About £200 but you might be unlucky and have to pay tax on it.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Does the LP12 have a glued sub chassis and laminated mdf armboard? If so, I'd go for a Nima as it should minimise the bass BOING that the fruitbox will almost certainly exhibit with a Jelco 750 as it did with other massy tonearms IME.

Having said the above, the straight lower mass Jelco should work just fine and be better than a suspect Basik/Akito of any age. Rest assured that no two LP12's pre early 90's were ever the same, so I expect you to have loads of fun trying to get a decent sound out of it, not because you may or may not be able to set the bloody things up, but because Linn just didn't always specify decent plinth parts until later samples.
    Last edited by DSJR; 07-03-2014 at 18:03.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Pan.

Yes, the Nima looks interesting. Audio affair is selling one for 499 pounds. I am not sure if the LP12 has a glued subchassis. It does have a laminated mdf armboard. I would need a new armboard that would be compatible with the nima, right? A rega board? Are there any changes that I should make to nima arm such as an other tonearm cable or headshell?

I'm Pan.

Would it be okay to pair the nima with a AT 150MLX, or should try something else?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If you have the laminated armboard, then you should have the glued sub-chassis too, easily seen from underneath as the original and far more resonant sub chassis was spot welded.

If you haven't already, Google the setup manual and study it thoroughly
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast