• 8 out of 10

4 28.57%
  • 9 out of 10

1 7.14%
  • 10 out of 10

1 7.14%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Album Club - Week 135: 04/03/2014: Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (1987)

I'm Lee.

This wasn't really the kind of music I was listening to when it came out but I bought it after hearing and loving Sweet Child O' Mine (the intro of which is still my ringtone).

I had a bass guitar at the time and I spent a lot of time learning the bass to a number of tracks on the album and was particularly pleased to finally nail SCOM. Forgotten it all now though! There are some good basslines on it.

I think all the singles stand out for me and there's a couple of filler's on it so for me it falls short of a 10. I'll give it a 9.

Manic's guitarist James Dean Bradfield was inspired by this album and has been said to have learnt every note. That's good enough for me.

The only other GnR album I bought though was Use Your Illusion II.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm Martin.

Not really my type of music Dan.

However 6/10 for Sweet Child O’Mine

I'm paul.

I like this album just not as much as the Illusion albums , some of the production is a bit in yer face
    but a worthy 7 from me
    Paul
    Truth is always new, totally unknown, and unknowable. The mind must come to it without any demand, without any knowledge,without any wish; it must be empty, completely naked. Then only truth may happen. But you cannot invite it.
    JK Hamburg 1956,Talk 4

I'm Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
    This is one of those albums that non Heavy Rock fans (me) bought, a bit like Metallicas Black Album it became mainstream.
    G'N'R became mega stars and the overblown, grandiose Use your Illusion albums were just round the corner, although I must say Use Your Illusion II is one of my favorite albums.
    I never played Appetite much I'll see if I like it any better 27 years later.
    No not really, a couple of very good tunes which attracted me to buying the album but overall a 6.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I've never really got into Guns N' Roses, but there are sprinkles of magic from them now and again that I like and I do have a Greatest Hits album from them, which is a very rare thing in my collection, in fact I think I could count the compilation albums I own on one hand as I'm not really keen on them.

Anyway, Sweet Child O' Mine is an all time classic rock anthem (is it an anthem?) with one of rock music's great guitar solo's, so this has to get 7/10 just for that. Most of the rest of the album is not something I would choose to listen to these days, but I also like Welcome to the Jungle. My other favourite GNR song is November Rain, another timeless work of art and one of the all time greatest rock ballads.

So overall its 7/10 from me.
    Last edited by Tim; 30-03-2014 at 07:48.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

MartinT Guest

It's not for me either. It all sounds a bit second rate compared with the greats like Deep Purple. Sweet Child O' Mine definitely saves it. The rest I find samey and forgettable. 5/10

I'm Bernie.

While I like a couple of the songs on this I can only give it a 6.
    Bernie.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12