+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: jelco 750D kick off!

I'm Daniele.

Default jelco 750D kick off!

thanxs everybody that encouraged me for it. Very happy, at least this is the impression after few spins of vinyl.
    Its a musical tonearm and in crescendo stays uncompressed and do not mix it up intruments. Very nice.
    Now, what the hell shall i do with the damping oil? Read somewhere to put three drops only, in other places i read no nedd. Whats the best intake on this? Thanx

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Daniele,

Glad that the Jelco is hitting the spot for you. It's an excellent tonearm, which performs far in excess of its price tag! As for the damping oil, just put a few drops in (NO MORE), as the effect will improve the performance of most cartridges.

Put too much in, and it will KILL the sound - and getting the oil out afterwards is a rather more difficult process than putting it in!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrei.

I have not experimented 'with' vs 'without' on my Jelco. A starting point would be to follow the follow the guidance in the manual. If you did not get this Arm new there is a manual available at http://www.vinylengine.com/library/jelco/sa-750d.shtml
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Richard.

Surely the answer is going to depend on the cartridge fitted. As a broad general rule don't add damping if you don't have to. The arm has quite a high effective mass and so should naturally work best with relatively low compliance moving coil cartridges. If you want to use it with a v15 then you may need some damping.

That makes sense, Richard. However, I listened to the 'before & after' effects of adding damping oil to the Jelco, using a DL-103 as a reference (a cartridge that one could argue wouldn't benefit from damping), and adding a few drops of fluid definitely improved the performance of the tonearm and cartridge

You mustn't overdo it, though!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Daniele.

Default Universal approach

Being pragmatic.....as it seems impossible to remove the oil when there, it makes sense to use a universal approach that can fit the majority of carts that would be used in the Jelco lifetime.

I have a Goldring 2400 currently and with test record I got 11 Hz resonance. I think it is acceptable per se....
    By the way....I had addressed once more the Jelco mass value with Huchida san. I was explaining that there are several different values, depending from the forum and I asked him the true value of mass. You guess what?
    13,48 gr only!
    Cheers

Indeed, but that all depends on what headshell is fitted to it!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Daniele.

Default i suppose he considered the standard headshell

Is it not the case? And if not always, how much is the weight of the standard headshell giving the figure 13.48gr? So I can put it over my spaghetti weighter and will know my case with precision....................." Hey my dear, a strange object is floating in the spaghetti bowl, any clue?"

Lol......

Yes, he'll have arrived at that figure using the stock headshell as a reference. However, the point I was making was that one can adjust the effective mass of the Jelco simply by fitting a lighter or heavier headshell.

That's the beauty of detachable headshell arms (plus, fitting cartridges is a damn sight easier, too)!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Daniele.

Default Marco, do you have the standard headshell figure?

Just to make sure i have the standard one...Sometimes packing error might arise?Although in my experience Japanese friends are extremely precise in whatever they do as a business

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast