+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The all new mini 1 from amptastic

I'm inthescottishmafia.

How does it compare to the original?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm gone.

Ah, well, you should wait for the full published review ...

But in the circumstances .... imo & imss (in my systems) it's as good or better in the mids and treble than the Mini-T but substantially more headroom and dynamic freedom in the bass.
    I think it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by minimonitor View Post
    I know these are nt powerful amps but really do i need to be at nearly half volume all the time ?(
    That's nothing to do with the power of the amp, just a different gain-law on the volume pot.
    Last edited by jandl100; 22-02-2014 at 10:47.

synsei Guest

I would be keen to audition a Mini-One in my system at some point as I am getting seriously good SQ and clout with the Mini-T driving the Skibo's. It would be intriguing and perhaps even educational to determine whether that same level of performance or better is demonstrated with the Mini-One installed in place of the Mini-T I would be happy to compile my own comparison review under the circumstances if you are reading this Chris...

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by minimonitor View Post
    ran a side by side test as well with both amps at the same volume
    I hope you're not using the volume control position to determine 'same volume'? Different gain-laws will determine the position of the control, which is quite irrelevant. You need a decibel meter in order to set your volume the same on each amp and then make listening comparisons.

synsei Guest

Or dowmload an equivalent app for whichever model of smartphone you have, these should be accurate enough for the purpose...

I'm Trevor.

I've had a Mini playing in my Sonos / Pro-Ject CD Box DS / B&W685 system for a about a week and it sounds very good indeed. Sound is detailed and bass is tight and well controlled. It has a presence and naturalness which just feels right. If anything it shows up the limitations of the Sonos Connect which I'm about to try to resolve with the addition of an Audiolab MDAC and a LIV ZEN Vortexbox.

I'm Will.

I've had my Mini-1 installed in my kitchen system for about a week now, and it also replaced a Mini-T...

SBTouch(EDO)/HiFimeDIY U2 DAC & Isolator/Mini-1/Mission 780SEs

...as with others I've noticed that I'm listening at about 11 O'clock (the Mini-T was about 10), it was about 12 initially, but the volume has increased a bit after the run in...

So probably less gain than the Mini-T, but the sound quality is better IMHO, more detailed and more 'weight'
    Cheers, Will

I'm Lee.

How would a mini-1 fair with a pair of Dynaudio Audience 42s

Technical Specification

Sensitivity (2.83 V/1 m) 86 dB

IEC Long Term Power Handling 150 W

Impedance 4 Ohms

Weight 4.8 kg

Dimensions (W x H x D) 170 x 282 x 246 mm
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm gone.

@Lee

Rob / hoopsontoast has used a similar combo and said it worked surprisingly well, iirc, as long as you don't want to go LOUD.
    Drop him a PM.

I've certainly used one with great success with my similar efficiency MBLs, and it went as loud as I wanted, which is quite loud on occasion!

I'm Lee.

Cool, thanks Jerry.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12