+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting back together with my hifi

I'm Neil.

Default Getting back together with my hifi

Am a vinyl fiend, but have been without my "proper" hifi system (ie with a turntable) since 2006. Just getting it out of storage now. Can't wait to get it going again. Have had the same PTTOO turntable for 25+ years, it was upgraded by the Funk Firm to Anniversary spec just before going in to storage, SME V arm with Koetsu Urushi cartridge. I use a Micromega Solo CD player, Audio Research SP9 MKII (anyone know if it's still possible to get a MKIII upgrade or similar done on this?) preamp and Albarry M1008 monoblock power amps. Speakers are ProAc EBS. Cables are a combination of Kimber, VanDenHul and Cardas.

Stuck in the 1980s, I know, but I got this far and am largely happy. However, I would like to tweak the system and improve the resolution (without spending a fortune), as I know my system won't separate out double-tracked guitar lines, for example... Not sure where to start, but I will play around with some other components from my second system and see if it gives any clues as to where to start.

I'm Alan.

Hi Neil,
    Welcome to the AoS from me, glad to see you're getting back into your groove with music, some 80's kit was good quality and built to last.
    what kind of music do you like? there are plenty of vinyl fiends here.

regards Al
    My system,

Cartridges Lyra Delos, Audio Technica AT33EVmc, AT 24 mm
    Turntable Thorens TD 124 Mk2, in a Jim Campbel plinth,Audio Technica 1503 Mk3 arm
    CD player Technics SL-PG490
    Cassette deck Yamaha KX 530
    Moving Coil Amp Albarry MCA 11
    Pre-amplifier Albarry AP 11 (battery powered)
    Power amps Albarry M1108 Mono-blocs
    Speakers Allison 3 Corner units, Allison 6 stand mounted cubes
    Interconnects AVT Matrix 6 and OFC short ones
    Mains distribution Music Works Recoil 6 gang and mains leads
    Tables MusicWorks ReVo acrylic stand, Quadraspire Acrylic shelves (cryo'd legs) acrylic Response Mini under mains block.
    Speaker cable Chord Rumour (Cryo'd)
    RCM Okki Nokki
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1586...homepage_panel

I'm Andy.

You had that kit in storage? Welcome aboard Neil.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Neil.

Default A few pointers?

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

As far as vinyl goes, I've got very Catholic tastes - I listen to everything. Not much opera or throat singing, free jazz or other atonal stuff. Collection ranges from original 1950s jazz vinyl nicked from my parents' collection, through classical, rock, soul, reggae, punk, world music, disco, house, metal, indie, electronica, soundtracks, country, rock'n'roll, singer-songwriters, rap.. er, what have I left out? Mostly I'm a bit wary of newer stuff as I like to see how things sit with me over time, but it's hard if you don't get the vinyl first time around these days..

Before I forget, the cables on the main system are VanDenHul The First for the CD player, Kimber 4AG for the pre/power I/Cs and Cardas Golden Cross for the speakers. I also use Wood Blocks and Red Rollers to remove mains interference and have a separate circuit off the mains for the hifi. The turntable sits on a Mana wall rack, but not the two-level reference version.

My other system, also in storage until very recently and soon to be put back together is:

PT Tarantella turntable
    Origin Live Silver arm
    Ortofon Rohmann B cartridge
    Crimson Electrik 610/620 pre/power amps
    Sony CDP M77 CD player
    Audio Alchemy DAC-in-the-box (with very short, thin, blue-sleeved silver(?) interconnect)
    VanDenHul The First I/C for CD , Kimber 8TC speaker cables and maybe old Chord Crimson(?) pre/power I/C cables
    Reference 3A De Capo monitors on Audio Dimensions stands

Got one problem with this system - apart from my awful memory!

In order to set it up in it's new home, my old-style Kimber 8TC speaker cables aren't long enough. I need a single 7m run, but since they've "upgraded" the colour (and I assume the specs) I'm having trouble tracking some down. There was someone advertising what I needed on this forum about a year ago, but he's not responding to my questions as to whether he still has them...

As for the main system, I'd also like any advice about whether there are people out there who would be qualified to "tweak" my Audio Research SP9 mkII into something like (or better than) mkIII specs (new caps etc).

Any advice gratefully appreciated..

+ Reply to Thread