• 8 out of 10

1 6.67%
  • 9 out of 10

1 6.67%
  • 10 out of 10

3 20.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Album Club - Week 133: 18/02/2014: The Damned - Phantasmagoria (1985)

I'm mick.

I like it a lot, a solid 7 from me. My copy has a 12" version of Eloise- agreed it's a brilliant cover ,or it would have been if it had been a version with vocals on!.Alone Again Or was also a good cover which they did a while after
    Nothin' I do don't seem to work ,it only seems to make matters worse!. Jagger/Richards

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mik_rik View Post
    I like it a lot, a solid 7 from me. My copy has a 12" version of Eloise- agreed it's a brilliant cover ,or it would have been if it had been a version with vocals on!.Alone Again Or was also a good cover which they did a while after
    You forgot to vote Mick...

I'm mick.

Corrected -----
    Nothin' I do don't seem to work ,it only seems to make matters worse!. Jagger/Richards

I'm paul.

Respect to Dave for putting up a Damned album ,a great band that rarely get the acclaim they deserve, I love all the Damned's albums but this is far from my favourite, that would probably be Music for Pleasure ,its still the Damned though so got to deserve a 7 from me.
    Any one that likes this should check out Strawberries
    Truth is always new, totally unknown, and unknowable. The mind must come to it without any demand, without any knowledge,without any wish; it must be empty, completely naked. Then only truth may happen. But you cannot invite it.
    JK Hamburg 1956,Talk 4

I'm ILOB.

This is not what I expect from the Dammed but quite like it a 6 from me
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

MartinT Guest

What a strange mixture of Spandau/Duran influences with a bit of Roxy and some Madness. Very post-punk and it doesn't really gel for me, although there are moments of greatness. I'm not really a fan of his voice, either. 5/10.

I'm Mike.

Very disappointing for The Damned.
    Going through the motions and not that well

The earlier the better for them and me - Machine Gun Etiquette their very best

Their 2nd Peel Session was just wonderful
    Smash it up
    Burglar
    Gay bars
    (from memory)
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm James.

Bit of a curates egg for me, so it gets a 6. Loved Shadow of Love and Is It A Dream. Most of the other tracks are fair to decent with only Trojans dropping to filler level.

my abiding memory of this is going to see them on the supporting tour at the Ipswich Gaumont. About 10 of us 16 yr olds piled into the school minibus and were driven to the venue by Mr Lund, our history teacher who was a bit of a closet rocker. The Gaumont was a seated venue with a clear area at the front to stand in. The staff had obviously heard of the bands reputation for trashing venues and were having none of it -they decided to stand at the bottom of the aisles and block people from going down there. unfortunately, when the Damned came on everyone just climbed over the chairs and piled down the front. We were standing up in the seated area about 6 rows back when the huge mass of humanity rushed past and over us.... way too many people for the smallish standing area. The first row of seats collappsed under the weight. Then the next. And the next. I still vividly remember having to jump row 5 as it collapsed in front of me! Of course after that we just made our way to the front and had an absolute blast
    Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck / Kuzma Stogi S / Benz Micro Ace S L
    Lenco L-75 / Carl Ellis Plinth / Ortofon AS-212 / Ortofon SPU Classic GM E MkII
    Ortofon ST-7 SUT / Nick G Modded Lentek Head Amp / Croft RIAA

Cambridge Audio CXU / Theta DS Pro Prime

Classé Model 30 / Luxman M-383

Usher Compass X-719

May contain opinions that others find disturbing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12