+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody tried an AT95E with a shibata stylus?

danilo Guest

I recently bought the LP gear AT95VL Cart
    http://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGAT95VL.html
    Hey! at 100$.. not a big risk
    10 min setup using a protractor etc...V easy actually.
    Yess it works as advertised. Sounding better than my Old Shures: v15, 95he and Grados. By a lot actually.
    Unlikely I will be refitting those again.. ever.
    Good bass and genuinely extended highs, with detail / resolution that was Never heard.. previously.
    I suspect that on an unbalanced system it could tend to bright.. not so on mine.. mercifully

Subsequently fitted my diy cobble up Phono. for another decided upstep in clarity.
    Improbable that I will be buying /trying for 'better' sounds.. There is long history of the cleaning lady destroying cantilevers in my house.
    Consequently 100$ is ALL I'm willing to sacrifice to neurotic cleaning.

danilo Guest

I recently bought the LP gear AT95VL Cart
    http://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGAT95VL.html
    Hey! at 100$.. not a big risk
    10 min setup using a protractor etc...V easy actually.
    Yess it works as advertised. Sounding better than my Old Shures: v15, 95he and Grados. By a lot actually.
    Unlikely I will be refitting those again.. ever.
    Good bass and genuinely extended highs, with detail / resolution that was Never heard.. previously.
    I suspect that on an unbalanced system it could tend to bright.. not so on mine.. mercifully

Subsequently fitted my diy cobble up Phono. for another decided upstep in clarity.
    Improbable that I will be buying /trying for 'better' sounds.. There is long history of the cleaning lady destroying cantilevers in my house.
    Consequently 100$ is ALL I'm willing to sacrifice to neurotic cleaning.

I'm paul.

The AT95 is astonishing at its price point there's no denying that. I fitted mine in an aluminium body but haven't potted it in resin yet so probably the reason it's not noticeably better. As I have a Benz word SL, lovely, Denon 103, the jury is still out, SAE 1000LT, very good when set up with the right step up etc and Victor Z1S, another budget cart that performs well I really don't want to throw money at a budget cart like an AT95 but it's interesting to read what you all think about the options available. I did buy a new stylus for my AT after bending the original and was probably 3/4 the price of a complete cart but the jico stylus is 4 and a bit times the price of the cart I think.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

danilo Guest

Hmmm Although I don't own one Or intend to :-) I've been told that the SAS tip AT95 is of Arguably Identical performance to the LP gear VL version stylus one.
    for Me the main inducement of the Vivid Line grind is it's 4X ! claimed lifespan over the pedestrian 95 stylus .

What is perhaps even more interesting is this thing :
    https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...ywords=AT92ecd
    This almost certainly as good as a regular 95. Fair guess that only the externals differ.
    However the pmount is it's Achille's heel.. it needs a diy solution.
    I used Glaziers' double sided Foam tape to mount it. No screws.
    Easy,as permanent as one wishes it to be, effective and also neatly decouples the cart from the headshell /arm. Lotsa bonuses.

20$ is even easier to 'risk'

I'm Kevin.

Why not get a p-mount adapter?

After a hectic day trip to Hamburg (which involved me oversleeping and nearly missing the flight ) I am sat down relaxing, with the AT95SA doing the duties, and it is thoroughly enjoyable to listen to. The rest of the family is away, so I get a chance to wind the wick up a little, and I am not disappointed with the purchase.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm jamie.

do you travel to germany a lot?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Kevin.

A fair bit, but don't have time to leave the company site.
    Kevin

I'm Grant.

Its a great pairing. Mine is only not currently being used as I am using my shure 55... I kept it over an ort 25fl

Had a holiday way back in Hamburg... although rebuilt, its a lovely, well orginised place.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm jamie.

no worries,rumor has it that the turntable needles and lpgear stylus's are made by jico,if i remember correctly its the blue dot that gives it away.
    just to add another option in the mix,before i went to the HE stylus i bought a replacement standard stylus from jico,that was also better than the AT bog standard stylus.i still have it if anyone's desperate.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    The AT95 is astonishing at its price point there's no denying that. I fitted mine in an aluminium body but haven't potted it in resin yet so probably the reason it's not noticeably better. As I have a Benz word SL, lovely, Denon 103, the jury is still out, SAE 1000LT, very good when set up with the right step up etc and Victor Z1S, another budget cart that performs well I really don't want to throw money at a budget cart like an AT95 but it's interesting to read what you all think about the options available. I did buy a new stylus for my AT after bending the original and was probably 3/4 the price of a complete cart but the jico stylus is 4 and a bit times the price of the cart I think.
    Paul,

Where did you get the aluminium body from?
    I have just bought a Cocobolo body, as I am interested to see how far the humble cartridge can be pushed.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast