+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BTE passive pre-amp plus Amptastic Mini-T amplifier

I'm tony.

I have ordered one with twin blue alps mono pots, silver wiring and just the one input. Just over £90!!! I run temple audio mono blocks/kel 84 monos into 63s- one of which is a bit quieter so it needs to be placed further into the room to balance things up. Recent purchase from one of the members let me run two ss amps either side utilising the volume pot to achieve balance hence the idea.
    I run a Tisbury audio passive which I cant fault, so will be interested to see what the BTE sounds like hopefully apart from letting me balance up the statics imbalance not alot.

synsei Guest

I find my BTE to be a tad more open and it has more bottom end grunt than the Tizzie Tony, I had both here for a while btw. Mine has a stepped Dale pot which, according to Anthony, gives improved resolution over the ALPS Blue Velvet so if it is not too late it may be worth amending your build (The Steppers are cheaper too incidentally)

I understand why you have chosen the configuration you have however two volume controls would drive me absolutely bonkers...

I'm tony.

Dave,
    8 different monos needing fed.....the blue alps are mono pots. The tizzie is a keeper. the BTE will let me balance up the wonky statics!!!!!

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Dave,
    8 different monos needing fed.....the blue alps are mono pots. The tizzie is a keeper. the BTE will let me balance up the wonky statics!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    I understand why you have chosen the configuration you have however two volume controls would drive me absolutely bonkers...
    Did you miss this?

Eight monos? Bleedin' nora....

I'm andy.

Dave, just a quick report back to say my friend is absolutely over the moon with the BTE recco from here,
    it brought the Quad 303 to another level thanks to you.
    Frank...made me do it.

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wiicrackpot View Post
    Dave, just a quick report back to say my friend is absolutely over the moon with the BTE recco from here,
    it brought the Quad 303 to another level thanks to you.
    Excellent news Andy, that's a combo I'd like to hear sometime particularly with the DM2's hung off the back

I'm andrew.

Just thought I would update this thread
    I have had my BTE passive here for a couple of weeks now, initial impressions are that it is very open and detailed and the bass is better than the Tisbury that I had on trial.
    Ultimately though I felt something was still missing from the overall sound quality mainly a lack of oomph and power/drive to bass guitars so today I put my Chevron Audio pre back in the system which is a Tentlabs passive attenuator with a Chevron active buffer output stage and bang the sound was back.
    All the clarity of the BTE plus the drive and power to move the music along.
    So the BTE will not be staying, it is a good pre for the money but I guess plain passives are just not for me, maybe a good TVC could change my mind.
    Last edited by roob; 01-05-2014 at 22:40.
    Andy.

I'm Martin.

Not all passive pres are created equal but I suppose the partnering kit will also play a part.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

Yes, ime TVC preamps will give you good dynamics and drive, but (?) all the TVCs I have heard (quite a few) have a somewhat warm/smooth sound which is not the kind of sound I'm personally attracted to.

I'm Steve.

Maybe dumb question time but how do you turn the Mini T into a power amp? Is there some sort of jumper arrangement inside the box? I seem to recall reading something along those lines but can't for the life of me find it now, and it might have related to the Mini 1. If not then I suppose it's a case of just turning the volume up to full? When that's done presumably it just makes a clean bypass of the volume pot?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast