+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BTE passive pre-amp plus Amptastic Mini-T amplifier

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Plus there was no room to manauvere on the volume...
    That sounds a little painful, and possibly may result in a nasty rash... Did you, per chance, mean manoeuvre?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Well I can't comment as I have not tried a TVC but then you have not tried my NVA so I don't see how you can claim that blind.
    I'm not making a "claim". I've used high quality pot and stepped attenuator passive pre-amps and my TVC has given by far the best results with every type of power amplification I've used. Check out the 'Music First' TVC pre-amp reviews. By the way a TVC unit has gain, true passives don't.

I'm using this:

MC9-001,w750.jpg

The two humps are the transformer housings.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

I have checked out Music First previously - I think on your recommendation, Geoff. But the cheaper model is £1700 plus VAT. I could buy one but it is a hell of a lot of money to spend and I like to get bargains. It may well work better than the NVA and I'm not doubting that you have the experience to extrapolate from the particular to the general, just that I like to hear these things for myself before I can say for certain.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    neutrality, weight, no colouration, no bass softness, no sting at the top, total openness
    Which is exactly what I get with the BTE passive-pre and it's stepped attenuator Geoff and all for the princely sum of £89.99. I'm struggling to understand why I'd need or even want a TVC unit under the circumstances...

Incidentally, I tried running my CDP straight into the Mini-T today as suggested by Chris, it didn't stay that way for long though as it sounded a little weedy in comparison with my usual configuration. Once the DM2's are sorted I will substitute them for the Skibo's to hear what's what. As things stand though I'm not sure which speakers and amp will be staying and which will be given the old heave ho. One things for certain, one of the combo's will have to go as I can't afford to keep them both, I need funds for new flooring for the kitchen.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    I'm struggling to understand why I'd need or even want a TVC unit under the circumstances...
    Try and get a listen to one.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Try and get a listen to one.
    Not likely to ever happen Geoff for many reasons, not least of which is cost so really there would be no point in me auditioning one. The Classé pre I ran previously was an excellent active pre which also had a stepped attenuator and yet the BTE 'out slams' the DR5 significantly. I am very, very happy with what I have now dude...

I'm Geoff.

Well, should you ever be in this area you'd be welcome to a listen over a cuppa.

I'm andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    Which is exactly what I get with the BTE passive-pre and it's stepped attenuator Geoff and all for the princely sum of £89.99. I'm struggling to understand why I'd need or even want a TVC unit under the circumstances...

Incidentally, I tried running my CDP straight into the Mini-T today as suggested by Chris, it didn't stay that way for long though as it sounded a little weedy in comparison with my usual configuration. Once the DM2's are sorted I will substitute them for the Skibo's to hear what's what. As things stand though I'm not sure which speakers and amp will be staying and which will be given the old heave ho. One things for certain, one of the combo's will have to go as I can't afford to keep them both, I need funds for new flooring for the kitchen.
    I have BTE on order hopefully it will be here next week and I will comment on my findings.
    Andy.

I'm Brian.

Nice one Andy . What will you be using it with ? I've also ordered one to try with my Bantam Gold . Please keep us posted and I'll do the same.

I'm andrew.

Power amp is a Leema Hydra 2, sources will be Sonos/Laptop into Chevron Paradox dac.
    Andy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast