+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BTE passive pre-amp plus Amptastic Mini-T amplifier

synsei Guest

Default BTE passive pre-amp plus Amptastic Mini-T amplifier

After an enquiry from Paul (Twickers) today in my gallery thread I dug out the old Mini-T from storage and slotted it into the system in place of the Quad 306 and ever since the two tiny wonders have been producing sweet music together through the Skibo's. Really, this is a match made in heaven and thus I heartily recommend this pairing if you happen to own efficient and easy to drive speakers. I reckon a Tisbury/Mini-T pairing would perform just as well, there must be a few members out there with examples of both who might want to give this a try...

I'm Brian.

HAH ! I think you may have started a new trend here Dave . I'm presently using a Temple Audio Bantam Gold and may try this option when funds allow .

I'm ChrisB.

Do you not think that the happy marriage there may be actually between the amp and speakers, rather than between the pre and the amp Dave?

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Do you not think that the happy marriage there may be actually between the amp and speakers, rather than between the pre and the amp Dave?
    I can't rule that out of course Chris and have no way of checking this just now with the DM2's being out of action of course, however I'm not absolutely convinced that what you suggest is the case Chris. When I have sorted the DM2's I intend to find out for sure though. In the meantime others may be able to put this to bed for us...

I'm ChrisB.

Well, you could try firing your CD player directly into the amp and cutting the pre out of the equation. It may sound better - I just think it unlikely that a system with two passively connected pots can sound better than one.

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Well, you could try firing your CD player directly into the amp and cutting the pre out of the equation. It may sound better - I just think it unlikely that a system with two passively connected pots can sound better than one.
    Worth a try although I ain't doing it tonight dude, I'll give it a go tomorrow though out of curiosity. It's not a configuration that can stand in my system as I need a pre to run my phonostage into...

I'm Geoff.

Whilst I'm not that keen on passive pre-amps that use just a pot (stepped attenuators seem better), most people forget that nearly all of us listen thorough a pot to control our volume levels anyway, so it makes little difference overall. The obvious thing is the active amplification in a regular pre-amp, valve or solid state. There definitely seems an added weight when NOT using a passive 'pot' pre-amp. Mind you, I've been using a TVC pre-amp for a while now. That's a whole new ball game! (neutrality, weight, no colouration, no bass softness, no sting at the top, total openness, the lot really)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Mind you, I've been using a TVC pre-amp for a while now. That's a whole new ball game! (neutrality, weight, no colouration, no bass softness, no sting at the top, total openness, the lot really)
    Yes I get the same from my NVA passive. The Tisbury sort of showed me what was possible with a passive pre (that extra veil lifted was a revelation) but it did lack bass drive and attack on percussion instruments. I tried to talk myself into living with it as everything else it did was so good, but in the end I couldn't. Plus there was no room to manauvere on the volume - it was either silent, loud or very loud. I don't think I would move away from passive now, okay you need to get a separate phono stage but that is no big deal there are dozens of reasonably priced ones to choose from.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yes I get the same from my NVA passive. The Tisbury sort of showed me what was possible with a passive pre (that extra veil lifted was a revelation) but it did lack bass drive and attack on percussion instruments. I tried to talk myself into living with it as everything else it did was so good, but in the end I couldn't. Plus there was no room to manauvere on the volume - it was either silent, loud or very loud. I don't think I would move away from passive now, okay you need to get a separate phono stage but that is no big deal there are dozens of reasonably priced ones to choose from.
    It's not a TVC unit though Martin. There's a big difference.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It's not a TVC unit though Martin. There's a big difference.
    Well I can't comment as I have not tried a TVC but then you have not tried my NVA so I don't see how you can claim that blind.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast