+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Goldring "buzz"

I'm Louis.

Default Goldring "buzz"

Got into a moving magnet frenzy for no apparent reason.

Now have two Goldring cartridges, both used, a 1012 GX and a 1042.

Both of them emit a high frequency buzz in one or both channels.

The cartridges have a ground strap, as do many vintage moving magnet cartridges, but the Goldring does not seem to be removable.

With a high output, 6.5 mv, it appears the Goldrings are amplifying what might, with less gain, not be noticeable.

I have set the gain down on my Aragon 47K from 47db to 37 db and the buzz is at least inaudible at listening level.

Anybody have a suggestion as to why this is happening, and maybe a cure?

Thanks,

Louis

I'm Geoff.

A hum 'loop' probably. Disconnect all your phono side earths and reconnect each one at a time, testing each time for hum. I reckon you'll find a combination where the hum goes.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Louis.

Thanks Geoff, I had suspected a loop somewhere, had done some of what you suggest. Finally removed the Audio Research line stage, re-inserting my TVC preamp and voila! Obviously some sort of a loop between the phono stage and the LS 7.

TVC actually sounds better, more transparent, anyway as you can probably attest to.

Thanks for the thought,

Louis

I'm Louis.

I spoke too soon...the buzz was not gone. Obviously there is a ground "mismatch" between my vinyl rig and ONLY the Goldrings. Nothing else in my cartridge box has this problem. Yes, the gain of the Goldrings is substantially higher than any of the other moving magnets, but there still should be no buzz. The buzz is gone with cartridges with 4 mv output, lower than the Goldring 6.5 mv, and I mean gone, not lowered...with the volume control on my TVC all the way up, with the other cartridges there is no buzz.

I see other folks here and other boards using the Goidring 1042, especially....surely I am not the only one with this problem.

+ Reply to Thread