+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quad 909 advice please

I'm rupert.

Default Quad 909 advice please

I have had some Quad amplifiers in my time, the latest being a 306 with the Dada mod. i really love it after the mod. It has a nice crystalline, clear and open sound almost like the Hypex i compared it to.

My question:

How would a Quad 909 sound compared to the unmodded / modded 306 ? I read somewhere that it is bandwidth limiting .. does that mean that i cuts out some of the sound information thus limiting dynamics, clarity ?

There is on for sale here for roughly 400£. Question 2 : is that a correct price ;-)

Thanks all

I'm Martin.

The 909 will give you more power if that is what you need. If not I wouldn't bother changing the amp. 400 is not an unreasoable price but not a bargain either.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm rupert.

thanks Macca ! i don't need more power and i think you've just saved me some cash.. at least for the moment ;-) may look at the hypev ncore now or these here http://www.aksaonline.com/products/p..._NAKSA100.html

I'm Julian.

I had a 405-2 which I loved but ultimately found a bit too smooth and safe, so tried a 909. It lasted about 10 mins in my system - I found it hard and unforgiving, quite unpleasant to listen to...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Andy.

Did you let it warm up?
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Julian.

Yes it was properly warmed up - I just think the 'modern' Quad voicing doesn't appeal to me ...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Steve.

I have to agree with Macca. There are those that think power is all, I do not! There's nowt the matter with the amp you have. Inless you have some bitching speakers to drive hold on to what you have.

+ Reply to Thread