+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cool-looking, decent priced hi-fi rack...

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    What's wrong with the QS Sunoko Vent, Chris - don't you rate it?

The Atacama I'm sure will be fine, but you could do better by trying a little lateral thinking. What's your maximum budget for the rack you need?

Marco.
    I like the sunoko vent Marco but it's £800-900, I'm thinking 400 max really so the alternative is the older Q4 or podium rack at 350, thing I like the idea of bamboo shelves, I've heard good things about something solid, but that's about 800 as well.

What about an old but still good sound organisation rack off eBay?
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Have you tried the bamboo shelves yet Adam?
    No, not yet. Dennis from Atacama keeps telling me that I must, though!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Chris.

Mmm, yes you should, I think the Eris Eco will be my choice.
    Chris

I'm brian.

Managed to pick up a finite 3 tier rack myself for £ 400. Highly recommend, huge improvement in sound. Okay my system was sitting on something from Ikea before!

I'm Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFidelityGuy View Post
    I built my rack from Ikea Lack coffee tables a couple of years ago. I based the design on the HiFi Racks Podium XL. Each layer is isolated from the next by spikes mounted in aluminium plates.

I can't really comment on how well it works from an audiophile point of view but it holds all my equipment adequately, looks nice and probably cost less that £50. So I'd recommend it for people on a tight budget providing you have the time and patience to perform the modifications. One thing I would say is that you can feel the shelves vibrating along with the music, which probably isn't ideal. So to try and prevent that from causing issues I use Black Ravioli pads under the important components. Different positioning of the rack would probably reduce the vibration as well. I do have mine sat right in the middle of a pair of big speakers and a pair of subs.

If I had the money I'd probably buy the proper HiFi Racks Podium units as I like the look of them and they're no doubt much more solid. I do like the look of Quadraspire's products though. I'm not sure which would be the best between those makes.
    90% of the vibration will indeed be due to the proximity of the speakers...Try moving them away from the rack if possible- it should also open up the sound considerably and improve imaging

I'm ChrisB.

Originally Posted by Marco: What's wrong with the QS Sunoko Vent, Chris - don't you rate it?
    Originally Posted by Joe It's £200 for a single shelf!
    So it's not really a bamboo bath mat then?

I'm Chris.

I can't believe this but..... Last night I got home and my wife text me that she found a hifi rack for sale at the local Catherine house furniture shop.

So I went down there this morning, turns out it's a soundfactory tripod 5 shelf stand almost identical to the 4 shelf one I already have but with usefully better spacings.

£10

you could say I'm chuffed, can't go wrong with this even if the atacama is substantially better, this is a bargain.
    Chris

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Chris - I hope it's a result for you!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nice one, Chris - I hope it's a result for you!

Marco.
    Cheers, it'll do for now and already looks so much better than the nasty argos rack which is now dismantled, I've had to put the pearl lite on the top but that's probably the best place for it anyway.
    Chris

I'm Chris.

I would like to say that installing this 5 tier tripod and changing the layout of my system so that the 4 tier is now basically a dedicated turntable stand with the VA psu, the Pearl,T10, Yammy multi spinner and tuner sit on the 5 tier.

Has changed the sound and presentation quite a bit, I would say it appears much more midrangey, on further listening I would say more balanced.

What's gone is this tendency to boom and bloom + a thickness to textures, and also a loudness effect like those on amps of old.

I find myself turning the volume up more but also I can listen at lower levels and still sounds interesting.

My Techie is sounding rather good through the Puresound T10 into the pearl lite phono, I want to listen to some more.

With a suspended wooden floor differences between racks is much more pronounced I feel.
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234