+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a cheapo MM cart, new or vintage I Aint bothered!

I'm Darren.

Have a Look for a low use ortofon 2m blue. Lot of cart for the cash :-)

I'm Kevin.

If you stretch the budget slightly, you can get a NOS MP-20.
    £130 + postage
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    ADC XLM series - mkIII going on ebay at the moment.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADC-XLM-Mk...item25896e2f4e

From memory (30 years ago?) beautiful "refined" cartridge, far better than the Linn K9 that I replaced it with
    What can I say, I was young/easily lead.

Guy
    Lovely sounding cartridge and that looks like a nice one. Way better than the V15III (I've owned both). The XLM III is a bit less wildly compliant than the original XLM and may just about be OK in the Lenco arm. I still use ADCs now and then, they are not to be underestimated, my ADC 10E Mk.IV was a match for my Denon DL-103R soundwise. I used to swap between the two and they actually sounded very similar. I reckon the XLM III will thrash any AT or Nagaoka MM you care to compare it to.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 09-02-2014 at 17:46.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dan.

Ortofon OM Super 10 , 20 , 40

Great sounding carts for not much dosh!!!
    Pre & Power
    Technics SUC 909U & Technics SE A909S
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

I'm Andrew.

tried a super 10 and 20, didnt like them much, but thanks for suggestion anyway.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Peter.

FWIW, I had a Shure V-something on my GL years ago and it sang quite nicely (but can't remember what arm it was on).

Other MMs worth considering might be Goldring 1042 (if you can find a low mileage version) and I was always quite taken with the Linn K9 which I ran on a Kuzma TT with Linn Basik for several years in the 90s.

A new one on me was Edwards - Deco in Aylesbury stocks them (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Edwards-Au...item4acf783bdb) - I heard one on a friend's budget TT and was quite impressed with the dynamic range - it costs about a ton.

Peter

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Lovely sounding cartridge and that looks like a nice one. Way better than the V15III (I've owned both). The XLM III is a bit less wildly compliant than the original XLM and may just about be OK in the Lenco arm. I still use ADCs now and then, they are not to be underestimated, my ADC 10E Mk.IV was a match for my Denon DL-103R soundwise. I used to swap between the two and they actually sounded very similar. I reckon the XLM III will thrash any AT or Nagaoka MM you care to compare it to.
    Would that cart be okay in a Micro Seiki MA-202 arm and headshell Geoff?

I've no idea of the arm's effective mass but the headshell weighs about 9.5g, thanks.

Tony

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    Would that cart be okay in a Micro Seiki MA-202 arm and headshell Geoff?

I've no idea of the arm's effective mass but the headshell weighs about 9.5g, thanks.

Tony
    It's borderline. You should just about get away with it but the MA-202 is no lightweight arm (nice though). I did use my ADCs including an XLM III in an Acos Lustre arm, which is about the same mass. I'd say it's probably worth a try, as the XLM III sounds stunning compared to just about any other MM.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It's borderline. You should just about get away with it but the MA-202 is no lightweight arm (nice though). I did use my ADCs including an XLM III in an Acos Lustre arm, which is about the same mass. I'd say it's probably worth a try, as the XLM III sounds stunning compared to just about any other MM.
    Thanks Geoff, do you know what the MA-202's arm mass is and how much is that cart worth, roughtly?

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    tried a super 10 and 20, didnt like them much, but thanks for suggestion anyway.

Hi

Fair.....i think it sounds good in my system i'm on a budget to get the best i can.
    Pre & Power
    Technics SUC 909U & Technics SE A909S
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast