+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to buy vinyl in the 21st century?

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by machtman View Post
    I've gotten back into Vinyl in the last three years and have often been disappointed in the quality of multiple reissues. My solution is to buy the originals, often from Discogs and sometimes from eBay. They are usually much better and often cheaper.

Mark
    That's exactly what I do too but recently I bought some real top quality vinyl and the records are worth every penny, most expensive was Gladiator at £47, cheapest was £27 for Dead Can Dance Into the labyrinth but the total standout is Hugh Masekela's Hope, wonderful recording, it's like listening to what Miles Davis might be recording today if he were still alive.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    That's exactly what I do too but recently I bought some real top quality vinyl and the records are worth every penny, most expensive was Gladiator at £47, cheapest was £27 for Dead Can Dance Into the labyrinth but the total standout is Hugh Masekela's Hope, wonderful recording, it's like listening to what Miles Davis might be recording today if he were still alive.
    Our standards may differ. I also bought all 3 of those in the last year. I've sold Gladiator and the DCD on through Discogs because Gladiator was not exciting enough and Into the Labyrinth was not as good as the original issue which I also bought. Hope is wonderful. Two superb recent issues are Patricia Barber Cafe Blue and the Tacet Vivaldi, both available from Scott Nangle. If you're ever near the Midlands, come by and I can demonstrate this.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by machtman View Post
    Our standards may differ. I also bought all 3 of those in the last year. I've sold Gladiator and the DCD on through Discogs because Gladiator was not exciting enough and Into the Labyrinth was not as good as the original issue which I also bought. Hope is wonderful. Two superb recent issues are Patricia Barber Cafe Blue and the Tacet Vivaldi, both available from Scott Nangle. If you're ever near the Midlands, come by and I can demonstrate this.
    Hi Mark, my current phono amp is away being updated so I'm listening to these albums via the phono section in my Rega Brio-R, kind of tend to agree re Gladiator but I'm holding fire for now until I can hear it properly.

Thanks for the offer BTW.

Tony

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    - but the total standout is Hugh Masekela's Hope, wonderful recording, it's like listening to what Miles Davis might be recording today if he were still alive.
    Sorry for the 'thread hike' - But although Hugh Masekela's playing is wonderfully lyrical - I really don't think he is in the same league as Miles Davis.
    For the 'record' I have three versions of "Hope" on CD, SACD and the sonically outstanding vinyl version, however, musically I prefer H.M.'s CD "Live at the Market Theater" - I just wish I could buy that on vinyl.

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12