+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions / Advice on this set-up

I'm Steve.

Yeah, I only mentioned RicherSounds as it's well known, to me anyway, for selling better than average gear, and if I'm perfectly honest I would rather spend my money locally (Newcastle) than buy online.

Some great suggestions there - thank you.

As I say, I did n like the look of the Brio - R when I noticed it, so I think I would likely opt for that one.

TT: From the looks of it, they all have their merit, but I would probably go for the Rega for continuity's sake.

I spotted some cheaper, smaller speakers Q Acoustic ones still:

* http://www.whathifi.com/review/q-acoustics-2020i. Makes sense to get smaller, considering the room size.

Need to think about speaker stands now

* Don't be telling me WhatHifi is frowned upon too?

I'm David.

If you like the Rega TT and fancy the Brio R (not sure if you do or not from your post) for a similar price to the Q Acoustics floorstanders you could get a pair of Rega RS1s. Fantastic speakers, which would obviously work well in an all-Rega set up and, in a smallish room like yours would work well, even close to the wall.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Sircom View Post
    Ignore all the snootiness toward Richer Sounds - Julian Richer's stores are usually very well managed, their prices keen, and their staff well trained, enthusiastic and knowledgable.

I'd have no problem in recommending a system like the one you are proposing. The overall performance should be well balanced, if laid-back in the upper midrange and treble. However, given the trend for excessively thin, bright and forward sounding equipment, this is no bad thing. Bear in mind a lot of how a system sounds falls to the integration between room and loudspeaker, and if the speakers are destined to end up dominating a room 2m x 3m (or disappearing into a room 20m x 30m) you might need to consider smaller (or larger) loudspeakers.

I'd also possibly suggest going for a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable as an alternative to the Rega. It's a little more than the RP1 (£300 instead of £230), but has a better cartridge (Ortofon Red) in situ. While there isn't a lot in it between the two decks, I think the Pro-Ject will be a better match for this system.

Whichever deck you choose though, make sure you place it somewhere level and isolated - a turntable is virtually a backwards seismograph and siting it close to the loudspeakers or on a wobbly floor can play havoc with the performance. It doesn't need to be a dedicated wall shelf designed for the task (although that is ideal), but placing the turntable on top of the amp directly in front of one of the speakers is a definite no-no. Somewhere between the two extremes is best.
    +1 (especially the bit in blue). Good advice there, Alan (and Dave)!

Richer Sounds are very good at what they do, and most importantly, understand the needs of their customers, which unfortunately cannot be said of all so-called 'high-end' hi-fi dealers.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

They look pretty sweet. Definitely think i will go for the Rega Amp, but these would be pushing my budget a little. I could use run my 1210 that I already have through the Rega Amp/Speaker until I've got a few more quid and buy the TT later...

Decisons. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Thomps557 View Post
    I could use run my 1210 that I already have through the Rega Amp/Speaker until I've got a few more quid and buy the TT later...
    Trouble is, Steve, if you do that, you may not wish to 'upgrade' to a Pro-ject or Rega later.....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Hahah I absolutley love my Technics, and would be buying the Rega out of curiosity actually. There can't [I]really[I] be a TT better than a 1210... can there?

I'm sorted.

I've got one of those Yamaha amps and wasn't impressed with the build quality or sound, gave it to my stepson & now running second-hand Quads.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomps557 View Post
    Hahah I absolutley love my Technics, and would be buying the Rega out of curiosity actually. There can't [I]really[I] be a TT better than a 1210... can there?
    Lol... There are plenty, if you're talking about an unmodified one. However, even a stock 1200 or 1210, with a decent MM cartridge fitted, will give most Pro-ject T/Ts a hard time, and certainly the entry-level Regas

My advice? If you're going to get another T/T, then make sure it's fundamentally better than what you've already got!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Sircom View Post
    Ignore all the snootiness toward Richer Sounds - Julian Richer's stores are usually very well managed, their prices keen, and their staff well trained, enthusiastic and knowledgable.

I'd have no problem in recommending a system like the one you are proposing. The overall performance should be well balanced, if laid-back in the upper midrange and treble. However, given the trend for excessively thin, bright and forward sounding equipment, this is no bad thing. Bear in mind a lot of how a system sounds falls to the integration between room and loudspeaker, and if the speakers are destined to end up dominating a room 2m x 3m (or disappearing into a room 20m x 30m) you might need to consider smaller (or larger) loudspeakers.

I'd also possibly suggest going for a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable as an alternative to the Rega. It's a little more than the RP1 (£300 instead of £230), but has a better cartridge (Ortofon Red) in situ. While there isn't a lot in it between the two decks, I think the Pro-Ject will be a better match for this system.

Whichever deck you choose though, make sure you place it somewhere level and isolated - a turntable is virtually a backwards seismograph and siting it close to the loudspeakers or on a wobbly floor can play havoc with the performance. It doesn't need to be a dedicated wall shelf designed for the task (although that is ideal), but placing the turntable on top of the amp directly in front of one of the speakers is a definite no-no. Somewhere between the two extremes is best.
    Please understand my question mark over Richer Sound was not snootiness. My last experience of a Richer store was exceptionally poor. The salesperson was unable to answer most of my questions and she kept trying to sell me a product I was not interested in, furthermore the store ( I can name and shame if requested) was filthy and everything was covered in dust. The salesman had to blow off the dust when it was picked up.
    I know the products are cheap, mainly because they are old stock and the pile it high and sell it cheap is still the business model, but that is no excuse for a dirty store.

Clive
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

Clive, if you were to report your experience directly to Julian Richer (he usually welcomes such correspondence from customers), I'm sure that he would take the matter very seriously, and deal with it accordingly.

I certainly can't say I've had the same experience with the Chester store, which is always immaculate, and where the staff are always unfailingly polite and knowledgeable.

I wouldn't condemn a whole chain of stores, simply because of a bad experience in one of them, unless of course what you've outlined has happened in other Richer Sounds outlets?

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast