+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions / Advice on this set-up

I'm Steve.

Default Opinions / Advice on this set-up

Hi,

I'm looking to get my first decent set up for my new house and after looking around, I've settled on a couple of items and I was just wondering if there was anything glaringly wrong with my choices.

I've generally only had high street (sony/panasonic) hifi systems in the past. Nothing Mid or High end.

Amp:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/...500/yama-as500

Speakers:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/...co-2050i-graph

Turntable:

http://www.dougbradyhifi.com/p-590-r...cool-grey.aspx

I do already have a couple of unmodified 1210's and would like to try another TT and the Rega ones seem to be a good bet.

I do check certain auction sites for older gear, but being new to game I'm reluctant to gamble at the minute.

Thanks for looking

Steve

+++ also - my front room is 14' x 12' - so it's a smallish room in a small terraced house - are these speakers too much for such a small space. Won't be played too loud and all kinds of music.

I'm Mike.

Before you move in get unswitched sockets for the kit and check the mains earth is nice and firm

Don't know the kit

Why not give a budget and ask for suggestions from those that know better than I ?
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Steve.

Thanks, Mike.

Around £800 for the same set - will only be playing vinyl.

I'm Dave.

Rega RP1, Rega Brio-r and a pair of s/hand speakers. Job done.

I'm Clive.

Richer sounds??????????
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Steve.

Hi,

thanks for that Dave. The Brio-R had caught my aye on the doug Brady site actually. Looks really nice.

So you think it would be wise to invest more in the amp than the speakers and upgrade the speakers at a later date?

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    Richer sounds??????????
    Schoolboy error?

Ignore all the snootiness toward Richer Sounds - Julian Richer's stores are usually very well managed, their prices keen, and their staff well trained, enthusiastic and knowledgable.

I'd have no problem in recommending a system like the one you are proposing. The overall performance should be well balanced, if laid-back in the upper midrange and treble. However, given the trend for excessively thin, bright and forward sounding equipment, this is no bad thing. Bear in mind a lot of how a system sounds falls to the integration between room and loudspeaker, and if the speakers are destined to end up dominating a room 2m x 3m (or disappearing into a room 20m x 30m) you might need to consider smaller (or larger) loudspeakers.

I'd also possibly suggest going for a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable as an alternative to the Rega. It's a little more than the RP1 (£300 instead of £230), but has a better cartridge (Ortofon Red) in situ. While there isn't a lot in it between the two decks, I think the Pro-Ject will be a better match for this system.

Whichever deck you choose though, make sure you place it somewhere level and isolated - a turntable is virtually a backwards seismograph and siting it close to the loudspeakers or on a wobbly floor can play havoc with the performance. It doesn't need to be a dedicated wall shelf designed for the task (although that is ideal), but placing the turntable on top of the amp directly in front of one of the speakers is a definite no-no. Somewhere between the two extremes is best.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Richer Sounds are thriving where snobby audio 'boutiques' are failing, due to high costs of underperforming so called 'Top End' stuff..

The Pro-ject may well be a good match here, but I still maintain the Rega decks are better made and researched - in my opinion and past experience selling both brands.. The tonearm on the RP1 is so good there's no reason I can think of why a 2M Red couldn't be fitted later on and the AT91 based Carbon it usually comes with is no mean performer and if mine is anything to go by, but dull and wishy-washy either

Richer do have a selection of speakers in many of their shops and judging by friends' experiences, I'd suggest some Wharfedale Diamond 121's to the list as well.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    Before you move in get unswitched sockets for the kit and check the mains earth is nice and firm
    Unswitched sockets are not necessary in a system at this level (and probably not in expensive ones as well ) and any house wiring ought to be checked every decade or so I think.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast