+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice needed on a phono stage

I'm Nathan.

Default Advice needed on a phono stage

Hi all.
    As you all know I'm new here, I need some advice on my turntable setup.
    Ok here goes. I have a rotel RP3000 fed into a Denon AVCA1D

Now it sounds good to me but I'd like to improve the overall sound of it. I have an SME 3009 fixed headshell tonearm with an audio technica AT95 E.
    I've replaced the rubber platter mat with a 3mm cork mat. I've added Sorbothane pads to the isolation feet too (Thanks for the advice trio-leo)
    I'm now thinking of adding a phono stage amp now but I would like to ask would this make a noticeable improvement? I'm looking at either a Musical Fidelity V90 LPS MM/MC or a cambridge audio 651P

I'm looking to spend around £100 so if you could recommend anything better that you've had experience with I'd very much appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance,
    Nathan.
    Last edited by nuff; 04-02-2014 at 21:45.

I'm ChrisB.

Hi Nathan,
    I don't know your amp but after a little noodle about on the web, I found a bit out about it and was surprised to see that it has a phono stage built into it to be honest. It was a fairly pricey amp in it's day, was it not? Thing is (and I may be way off the mark here), Denon still made a fairly respectable phono stage in their more expensive integrated models at the time, so it's possible that the one you have is not that bad at all. If I were you, I'd see if it was possible to try something out before you spend any cash on what could be a sideways or even downward move.

Just a thought, but what speakers do you use? And do you have just a stereo pair, or more? The reason I ask is that I think it might be interesting to use a spare pair of power amp channels you might have to bi-amp your speakers, assuming that they have split crossovers.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Hi Nathan,
    I don't know your amp but after a little noodle about on the web, I found a bit out about it and was surprised to see that it has a phono stage built into it to be honest. It was a fairly pricey amp in it's day, was it not? Thing is (and I may be way off the mark here), Denon still made a fairly respectable phono stage in their more expensive integrated models at the time, so it's possible that the one you have is not that bad at all. If I were you, I'd see if it was possible to try something out before you spend any cash on what could be a sideways or even downward move.

Just a thought, but what speakers do you use? And do you have just a stereo pair, or more? The reason I ask is that I think it might be interesting to use a spare pair of power amp channels you might have to bi-amp your speakers, assuming that they have split crossovers.
    Good Morning Grand Wazoo,
    Thanks for the reply. My main front speakers are B&W 683. I do have all the other surrounds but only used for movies.

I did think that my amp did have very good sound on stereo and multi channel but i was just curious if i could improve it in anyway.

The reason i started this thread was because on some vinyl i play (Brand new and cleaned) some of the tracks sound slightly distorted especially when they sing S's (Hope you know what i mean) it just doesn't seem clear enough.

I've just bought Electronic LCD Gram Scales and setup the tonearm to the correct weight but it still seems hissy
    Sorry if I've totally lost you but it's quite hard to explain.
    Thanks again
    Nathan

I'm Kevin.

How did you clean the records?
    Have you set your cartridge up using a protractor?

It could be release agent or a set up issue causing this, or even a poor reproduction in the vinyl.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    How did you clean the records?
    Have you set your cartridge up using a protractor?

It could be release agent or a set up issue causing this, or even a poor reproduction in the vinyl.
    I'm cleaning them with a Knosti Disco Antistat with a soloution of 80% distilled water and 20% Isopropanol 99.9%

I setup the cartridge with an free online protractor.

I'm glad you can understand what i was saying

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Hi Nathan,

Spot on. Even the mid-range PM350UK model amps had a cracking phonostage built in which is more than a match for budget stages today. If you want to spend £100 to improve the SQ Nathan, and assuming your speakers are ok and well matched for your room, my advice would be to change the cartridge. With the greatest of respect, I would think that is the weak link in your front end. Its a fine budget cart for sure and has many fans (including myself) but can easily be bettered and by miles for around £100 outlay on a better MM cartridge. Getting the set-up not just close, but absolutely spot on is also hugely important...don't underestimate this.

Before spending money anywhere, why not check and re-check set-up. You need the correct template for the 3009 as a generic one won't do at all . You can download the right protractor template or buy them. The protractor to use is the one with the correct null points for the 3009 effective length and stylus overhang. Get that wrong plus bias wrong and it makes a world of difference for the worst.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Spot on. Even the mid-range PM350UK model amps had a cracking phonostage built in which is more than a match for budget stages today. If you want to spend £100 to improve the SQ Nathan, and assuming your speakers are ok and well matched for your room, my advice would be to change the cartridge. With the greatest of respect, I would think that is the weak link in your front end. Its a fine budget cart for sure and has many fans (including myself) but can easily be bettered and by miles for around £100 outlay on a better MM cartridge. Getting the set-up not just close, but absolutely spot on is also hugely important...don't underestimate this.

Before spending money anywhere, why not check and re-check set-up. You need the correct template for the 3009 as a generic one won't do at all . You can download the right protractor template or buy them. The protractor to use is the one with the correct null points for the 3009 effective length and stylus overhang. Get that wrong plus bias wrong and it makes a world of difference for the worst.
    Thanks for all the info Paul. I'll go and search for a better protractor and try setting it up before jumping in.
    I'll let you know about any improvements.
    Thanks again for all your help, it's much appreciated.
    Nathan.

I'm Nathan.

Can anyone guide me to a free download protractor? I've had a look but not really getting much luck.

I'm Kevin.

Have you tried Vinyl Engine?
    Look in their Tonearm database, and choose the right Series, and there should be a download available towards the bottom of the page.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

My advice is to consider an AT120E for the SME. This cartridge isn't suitable for massy arms, but a fixed head SME should be fine. Use the black-tac that SME used to supply between cartridge and headshell, aluminium screws (no need for heavy stainless steel bolts here) and track at 1.5g approx. This should open up the sound nicely I think.

By the way, any other modern cartridge tracking at 1.75g or more may just upset the RP3000 servos, as the OEM Matsushita direct drive motors weren't as good as the ones fitted to their best decks in the 'pre quartz' era.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast