+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on upgrading from a novice

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Thick_Mike View Post
    Solved my mounting problem by buying an SME 309 arm with the 401...just got to find somewhere to put it.
    !

Serious money. I loved and hated my 401, the speed would never stabilise, it just kept running faster and faster. I had some work done it by reputed 401 gurus (Martin Bastin, Slatedeck), too. If yours will stabilise, you'll love the really solid presentation that it offers.

I've been through some kit over the years, and today I reckon that the best value is with cottage industry manufacturers, such as Chevron Audio, Angle Audio, Temple Audio, Avondale and probaly many others that i'm unaware of.

In your system, given the sources, it's the line stage and ICs that will make the most difference, when another upgrade is desired.
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.