+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 66 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: So, tell us about your user name..............

I'm David.

Many years ago a group of friends used to have "dice evenings", based on the book The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dice_Man
    We'd decide what we'd wear, what pubs we'd visit and what we'd do when we got there by the roll of a dice. My "dice name" was Josef Sneff and now Mr Sneff is the name I use for various online activities, including this blog - http://mrsneff.wordpress.com/

I'm Jayson.

Don't know how this will go down in the forums but as a kid i loved bubble writing and quickly got into letter forms and then eventually "graffiti." I did my first piece at the age of 13 in some underpass and the age of 16 starting using the name of "Lacey" - i'll use Lacey or Lace'd Taste on various forums now. Had a good run and had a few articles in the local papers before police came over whilst me mum was having a party (not the best of memories), Lacey became legal and i ended up studying fine art at Uni. I'll post some examples scattered around my home town of Barnstaple.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Wow, love the van, very nice.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mr sneff View Post
    Many years ago a group of friends used to have "dice evenings", based on the book The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dice_Man
    We'd decide what we'd wear, what pubs we'd visit and what we'd do when we got there by the roll of a dice.

Ha Ha, another victim of the 'Diceman Culture'! Been there, done it too about thirty years ago. Good fun and a great book.

'The Diceman' is an all time classic, there's nothing else quite like it. I still have a couple of copies knocking about. An absolutely essential read if you've not heard of it!!!

By the way, I always feel sorry for people sucked in by the VW camper thing. It's all about image (not one I'd want. 'Fake Cool? Not for me) and generally the people who buy them don't have a clue that the poor old things have the dynamics of a shed. Unless you spend a fortune, it'll be desperately slow, full of rust and handle (wrong word) like an overloaded pram!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jayson.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    By the way, I always feel sorry for people sucked in by the VW camper thing. It's all about image (not one I'd want. 'Fake Cool? Not for me) and generally the people who buy them don't have a clue that the poor old things have the dynamics of a shed. Unless you spend a fortune, it'll be desperately slow, full of rust and handle (wrong word) like an overloaded pram!
    Whilst not being a VW man i am a fan of the Austin Minis and whilst it might not be the most practical of cars generally full of rust and i'd probably spend the rest of my days doing it up i think there's still that appeal to own something iconic/fun without going down the whole "look at how retro and different i am" route.

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with you entirely Geoff - I think for some people, yes it fits into an image to which they aspire to, whatever that is ... But for others, who might have lived through the era, it may bring back good memories, and they really don't care about all the performance stuff - they'll see all that as part of the 'charm' ...

I recently replaced a fairly new bike with a bright yellow 70's BSA racing bike in a fit of vintage lust - technically it may be wanting on many fronts compared to bikes today, but I actually find its 5 gears better than the 21 I had before and I just love riding it! It makes me feel good.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with you entirely Geoff - I think for some people, yes it fits into an image to which they aspire to, whatever that is ... But for others, who might have lived through the era, it may bring back good memories, and they really don't care about all the performance stuff - they'll see all that as part of the 'charm' ...

I recently replaced a fairly new bike with a bright yellow 70's BSA racing bike in a fit of vintage lust - technically it may be wanting on many fronts compared to bikes today, but I actually find its 5 gears better than the 21 I had before and I just love riding it! It makes me feel good.

I agree on the seventies (and earlier) racing bikes, they're great to ride, so light too. I always get rid of the drop bars though and fit flats.

Oh, and I grew up with Campers and other old VWs, nobody thought they had any particular image back then. The 'Lads' all wanted Transits!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lace'd Taste View Post
    Whilst not being a VW man i am a fan of the Austin Minis and whilst it might not be the most practical of cars generally full of rust and i'd probably spend the rest of my days doing it up i think there's still that appeal to own something iconic/fun without going down the whole "look at how retro and different i am" route.
    I had thirteen BL Minis of all types. Many were well tuned too (by me) and there's no job I've not done on a Mini. I've replaced engines, gearboxes, wiring looms, floors, door skins, roof linings, subframes, etc., etc. Done several engine rebuilds and resprays. Those were the days. Still got a fully equipped workshop though.

I'm Andr'e.

Forever changing? yew nutters shurrup!.. Barbarian bi first track from ELP Debut LP { yew know the best band in the world}

I'm Andr'e.

Quote Originally Posted by Lace'd Taste View Post
    Don't know how this will go down in the forums but as a kid i loved bubble writing and quickly got into letter forms and then eventually "graffiti." I did my first piece at the age of 13 in some underpass and the age of 16 starting using the name of "Lacey" - i'll use Lacey or Lace'd Taste on various forums now. Had a good run and had a few articles in the local papers before police came over whilst me mum was having a party (not the best of memories), Lacey became legal and i ended up studying fine art at Uni. I'll post some examples scattered around my home town of Barnstaple.

Sorry due before i checked out your location i though it was the Bronx NYC ffks.. move immediatly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 66 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast