+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 66 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: So, tell us about your user name..............

Slippery Jim is, I believe, a character in a series of sci-fi books - Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat stories. Not really my cup of tea, but a girlfriend of mine (from over thirty years ago) used the term to refer to a very dearly cherished body part of mine.

I'm Chris.

You forgot the " "
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

I'm Nick.

Jim's obviously got nothing to be embarrassed about!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Indeed - wave it around like a conductor's baton, I say!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm CaughtBetweenTheDevilAndTheDeepBlueSea.

Merely the alternative spelling for Primal, as in the primal urge we all have (I'm assuming) to "make a connection" e.g. in this instance, to our music ;-)

I'm Graeme.

Grez - due to my fascination with Delius and his home at Grez-sur-Loing, France I acquired this nickname from my slightly bohemian friends at Eton and Cambridge University. It has nothing to do with the fact that it was a shortened version of my first name, Graeme, that was given to me by my mates in Castleford where I was born... honest!

;-)
    PLEASE CALL ME GREZ!

Manticore Mantra TT circa 1986 c/w Linn Basik+ Arm and Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge; Cyrus CD8SE CD player 2009; Onix OA-21 amplifier circa 1985; Celestion DL4 speakers, 1985; Apollo Speaker Stands 1987; Sound Organisation Rack 1992.

I'm Graeme.

Grez - due to my fascination with Delius and his home at Grez-sur-Loing, France I acquired this nickname from my slightly bohemian friends at Eton and Cambridge University. It has nothing to do with the fact that it was a shortened version of my first name, Graeme, that was given to me by my mates in Castleford where I was born... honest!

;-)
    PLEASE CALL ME GREZ!

Manticore Mantra TT circa 1986 c/w Linn Basik+ Arm and Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge; Cyrus CD8SE CD player 2009; Onix OA-21 amplifier circa 1985; Celestion DL4 speakers, 1985; Apollo Speaker Stands 1987; Sound Organisation Rack 1992.

My username comes from two of my favorite audio (electronics) companies: Threshold, and Spectral. IMO if somebody wants to get serious about sound on some type of budget, used high-end gear (of many diferent companies) is the way to go. I use a Spectral DMC-6 preamp, because it has the quietest phono stage that I have ever used. It is really noticeable, when you start turning the volume up, and the lower volume passages come up. It is something that they did differently in their design, but I can't remember what it was. I found a discussion about it on the net, but now I can't find it. (I'm not trying to brag or anything here) It was $2,800 new, and I got it years ago used for $1,350 U.S.D. Now when they rarely come up, they can be had for about $600-$700 U.S.D.

I use Threshold S-300 amps, because they can drive any load all day long. I also think that like so much other high end gear, they are beautiful! I have three of them, but I don't have the third hooked up yet.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Don't know if this is the right place to put this, but I certainly think it should be a sticky somewhere.

I'm often intrigued as to the stories behind people's user names - and there's nearly always a story behind every one.
    So, why don't you tell us about the origin of the name you've chosen to be identified with on the Art of Sound?

Your enormously self-depricating starter for ten:

The Grand Wazoo - The Big Arse...............also the name of one of my favourite Frank Zappa albums.
    The first time I've ever truly, really experienced high quality sound reproduction in my house was when I replaced my Castle Inversion speakers with a pair of Magneplanar MG1 IMP planar speakers. There was something about the music coming out of these enormously huge speakers (they look like the monoliths from the Space Odyssey 2001) that made everything sound and feel (and look) as big as a house! The drum kit suddenly appeared before me as big as the real life drum kit, and all the other instruments in the mix gained their life size dimensions. On top of that, the vocalists suddenly gained in stature, as I could plainly see Janis Joplin standing in front of me in her full 5 feet something height!

Depending on the mix/mastering, some instruments even gained larger-than-life dimensions (this is especially true with synthesized instruments). Also, the instruments were now distributed not along the boring familiar toy-sized left-to-right squishy soundstage, but were well extended up, up, almost touching the ceiling, all the way down touching the floor, and beyond the left and right edges of the speakers. Plus, they were now layered in depth, extending all the way to the back of the house (and, on a very quiet night, even beyond).

All that produced such a vivid, palpable illusion of witnessing a breathtaking music performance, that I felt as if I've been taken on a magic carpet ride. Hence my moniker
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm ChrisB.

So it's got nothing to do with Steppenwolf then? - that's how I had you pegged!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 66 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast