+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of decent SME IV or V for my Orbe SE

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    I buy most Hi-Fi from overseas, many sources such as MCRU and from 2juki in Hong Kong. No problems and quick delivery. Someone, Marco I think, pointed out that the issue with 2nd hand arms can be the bearing. Even then the risk can be ameliorated by, as Rexton says, getting it serviced.

B'Jesus- Brooky moved to Hong Kong? Tax purposes?
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Mike.

Thanks for all input here!
    Unfortunately emporiumhifi wont accept offers below the £1550 requested.
    Tried the wam but couldnt find any SME IV/V of interest for sale. (Other than a IV with suspicious damage)

I am beginning to lean towards a V, but there are some versions of these around too?
    With removable headshell
    Gold print
    Gold plated

Other than the obvious practical advantage of a removable headshell, are there any audible diffences between editions?

Regards Mike

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    Thanks for all input here!
    Unfortunately emporiumhifi wont accept offers below the £1550 requested.
    Tried the wam but couldnt find any SME IV/V of interest for sale. (Other than a IV with suspicious damage)

I am beginning to lean towards a V, but there are some versions of these around too?
    With removable headshell
    Gold print
    Gold plated

Other than the obvious practical advantage of a removable headshell, are there any audible diffences between editions?

Regards Mike
    There's another one here

http://www.centralaudio.co.uk/index....roducts&id=464

I bought quite a few items from Tony and he's a very nice guy, open to offers. He's had this arm quite a while.
    Not far from Audio Origami to check out/upgrade.

I'm Dave.

In the UK the SME IV is £1894 and the V is £2750.

Occasionally, I have a dem one.

I'm Andrew.

Stick with the fixed head shell, you dont have to piss about aligning overhang etc, with regards the gold version I would just ignore this, buy a normal V and upgrade any surfaces that conduct with silver.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm peter.

Over the years I've had a load of Series Fives, and also the 12inch version. A few basic points.
    1) Because the Five was released 25 years ago, and is largely unmodified, with no 'mark 11s', it has become an unusually 'mature' market...there are few bargains. You get what you pay for.
    2) Like everything else, they do 'age'...especially the bearings and slightly vulnerable bits like the hydraulic lift mechanism. Wiring can go short circuit too. Therefore either buy a late model, around £1800, or buy a nice old model and have it serviced by J7 or SME (if you have worn bits, such as bearings, SME sometimes replace them for free, so the more expensive SME service is sometimes a bit of a bargain.) otherwise, J7 is a sensible option.
    3) The series Four and Five are essentially the same arm, the Five has the damper and easier vta adjustment, but identical performance. The 309 gets very close..and as been said, it's hard to hear the difference.
    4) The 12inch versions are especially lovely, if your deck is big enough. To my ears they do sound a bit better (smoother, more at ease).
    5) Don't forget the 'M' series. These arms can sound really fine and cost a lot less. there is a bit of 'snobbery' here. In many systems an M10 will work just as well..depending on cartridge. In the same way, the j shaped 12inch version with an SPU is pretty unbeatable.

Finally, if you are feeling flush, buy a new arm. That way you know it has been well cared for. Keep it for many years, getting J7 to give it a check up once in a while. Buy it in the country you live, support local dealers. You might need them at some point.
    And don't forget to keep the box, leaflets and all tools....they are pricey to replace. If buying second hand, you want this stuff, or a lower price. The absence of tools and a box is the first warning sign that the arm may not have been treated with loving care. Too many of them have had a lot of owners, which, like cars, is not good. You want a one-owner sample with box and tools.
    Last edited by paskinn; 02-02-2014 at 19:57.

I'm Mike.

Thanks paskinn, thats all very good advice and knowledge!
    I'll be looking around for a while, something will surely turn up, even if i have to pay a bit more than expected.
    Besides, my Orbe is making beautiful noise with its Audio Origami RB-250 atm.

Regards Mike

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Peter,

Quote Originally Posted by paskinn View Post
    2) Like everything else, they do 'age'...especially the bearings and slightly vulnerable bits like the hydraulic lift mechanism. Wiring can go short circuit too.
    Indeed, but of course according to the 'cognoscenti' on pfm, SME arms are completely immune from any aspects of ageing and/or deterioration, due to extended use, or the effects of the environment...

Good job you're thick-skinned, so well done for keeping your cool against the unfortunate behaviour of some of the old miseries over there. The intolerance, sneering disdain and overall unpleasant tone, shown on certain contributions on that thread, was unacceptable. I've never understood why folk have to be so condescending and rude when disagreeing with someone else's opinion. It's pathetic and completely unnecessary.

Anyway, like you said: "It is clear to me that many people don't want their illusions disturbed." You've hit the nail on the head there!!

Also, as someone else said, how can you be sure that your tonearm definitely won't benefit from a service? Here I'm not thinking necessarily of bearing wear, but rather, as Mark (YNWaN) pointed out: "What is possible is that five years of being in a centrally heated room starts to dry out the bearing lubricant and stiction increases."

Barrymagrec also wrote something similar: "The only reason that I can see for servicing an arm would be to clean the build up of dirt and dried lubricant in the bearings, assuming no physical damage. How frequently this is required must depend on the circumstances of use."

Therefore, for a moment, leaving aside actual bearing wear, simply by flushing out and re-lubing the bearings, as well as checking the bearing torque, after five years of use, and making any appropriate adjustments (especially when, as you said, SME reported the bearings on your arm as having loosened slightly), who's to say that the cumulative effect of all of that wouldn't not only have improved performance, but have been, legitimately, entirely necessary after a tonearm had been used every day and exposed to temperature and environmental fluctuations for five years??

I'm pretty certain it would, especially as I consider the above as feasible areas for concern (particularly the highlighted bit in blue) after a tonearm has been extensively used over such a period of time, and so, IMO, perfectly explain what you've heard and reported with your Series V, much to the disdain of those whose thought processes are unfortunately rigidly governed by their engineering and/or scientific doctrine (or pedantic idiots who simply get off on being argumentative)!

Basically, it's the usual case of intolerant sceptics pooh-poohing that which doesn't fit with their academic belief system.

Anyway, I hope you're enjoying AoS. I think you'll find that people here are rather more open-minded, friendly, and tolerant of views that make you consider something as relevant, which you perhaps hadn't considered before!

Marco.

P.S For those interested in reading the thread on pfm, it is here: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...d.php?t=151083
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Anyway, I hope you're enjoying AoS. I think you'll find that people here are rather more open-minded, friendly, and tolerant of views that make you consider something as relevant, which you perhaps hadn't considered before!
    As long as you don't mention what book you're reading!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

“Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast