+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using an uninterruptible power supply for a PC

I'm Kevin.

Default Using an uninterruptible power supply for a PC

The surge and spike protecting battery back up power supplies can be had quite cheaply these days, so I was wondering if there would be any benefit to using one to protect my HiFi gear?

I live in a rural part of France (not that far from Toulouse) and the local power network is a bit of a nightmare. We often get micro cuts in the power, which probably has voltage spikes etc.
    To protect from the spikes, I can use a multiway power block, but I was wondering if added battery protection would help? Do they smooth the supply?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

They usually have overvoltage and current protection, which is not uncommon with a power surge.
    I'm not sure if UPSs utilise SMPS or not - I suspect the former.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Kevin.

After a bit of digging, I see that most use a square wave form, so apparently not suitable.
    I've bought a surge/spike protector instead.
    Kevin

I'm Mike.

Check out the PowerInspired UK site and look at the AG1500, this will be much better for your hifi. I have two of these, one for the analogue and one for the digital sources. I would't go for the battery version however as it only gives a very short period of time if the power shuts down, but go for the cheaper power conditioner AG1500 and save some money.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by tannoydmt View Post
    Check out the PowerInspired UK site and look at the AG1500, this will be much better for your hifi. I have two of these, one for the analogue and one for the digital sources. I would't go for the battery version however as it only gives a very short period of time if the power shuts down, but go for the cheaper power conditioner AG1500 and save some money.
    I'm with Mike. I have two AG1500s (split analogue and digital as well). Pure sine wave and smooth frequency delivered out.

If outages really are a problem, I believe that you can add banks of batteries to the AG1500 to provide resilience. Watch out, though - the (cheaper) batteries for the AG500 do not work with the AG1500.

Peter

I'm Kevin.

They look like a nice bit of kit, but seem pretty expensive.
    I'll stick with my spike and surge protection power blocks for now.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

After two and a half years, I have finally ordered an AG1500.

I don't like to act quickly on these things.
    Kevin

I'm Grant.

Think its the smaller 500 ive got. Dunno if its got batteries in it or not tbh... its great at giving a steady 50hz and 230v. My system improved greatly
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

It's arrived, and after a brief leakage current test to see what happened, it is plumbed in and the system sounds fine.
    Does it sound any better? No idea yet....

It's a big old beast though!
    I could do with another shelf in my rack to sit it on., although I am hoping to get a new "HiFi Racks" set up for my gear soon.
    Kevin

I'm Grant.

got mine on floor on side with the screen rotated. yes, its big, and doesnt fit on my rack, as its way too deep. if nothing else it will keep everything stable.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread