+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Collection of mods for Beresford TC-7520

I'm Ade.

Thanks for the advice Stan!

Would you consider the LM4562NA a worthy purchase, or would you say I should hang back and listen to the DAC straight out the box, and then decide on things? Or maybe invest in a different Op-amp? The seller I was thinking about is Mark Grant http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/in...roducts_id=111 who I've bought from before and is regarded by many as a very good seller.

Ade

I myself use a set of NE5532FE most of the time, and they are rare to the extreme.

Performance tuning should only be considered as an option if you are bored and know what you are doing. Otherwise the stock chips are good enough to blow away the majority of competing DACs. The opamp rolling issue is one that ideally suits those that are prepared to try different chips with different types of music. It is not a must. Not everyone would hear a difference with their system set up. The opamp rolling goes hand in hand with the rest of your gear.

STan

I'm Ade.

Thanks again for your input Stan, maybe I would be best just letting the DAC burn in and get used to the sound with the stock chips, then decide if I should change things around, or not.

I'm glad I've found this forum as I know that I can get some good advice if ever I do decide to make any changes.

Ade

I'm Gary.

I've bought loads of stuff from Mark Grant, great service.

Buy with confidence - I actually bought my 4562s from there. Replaced the one for the line out though with a 4032 which I found to be more my liking.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Ade.

I've bought quite a few bits from Mark aswell, and rate him very highly too, i'll have to think about whether I jump in and buy some new op-amps straight away though.

Ade

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    Abort the 4.7nF operation. I'll pull the picture soon. I sussed out that I have a different mod under the PCB that is not visible on top, which is causing the hiss.
    The MLC5/6 is however still valid. Far smoother piano and guitar decays.

Stan
    Understood, thanks Stan.

I'd recommend anyone to do the MLC5/6 mod, especially if you listen to a lot of classical or acoustic music. I'd never really 'got' classical music, now it seems like the door has been opened for me.
    Rich

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Updates will be added to the first post as to keep everything together, its worth checking every so often
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by lovejoy View Post
    Understood, thanks Stan.

I'd recommend anyone to do the MLC5/6 mod, especially if you listen to a lot of classical or acoustic music. I'd never really 'got' classical music, now it seems like the door has been opened for me.
    But NOT with he Tirna 4032 Op Amps...?

Can anyone confirm?
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Not sure, will have to check it on scope.
    I'm currently using AD827 without those caps and its ok, this ones pretty fast too
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by leo View Post
    Not sure, will have to check it on scope.
    I'm currently using AD827 without those caps and its ok, this ones pretty fast too
    Hey thanks Leo, would appreciate that very much.

Thanks,
    Gary.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast