+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Collection of mods for Beresford TC-7520

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leo View Post
    They won't sound the same though
    Oh, is there more difference than meets the eye between them?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Oh, is there more difference than meets the eye between them?
    Yes. They are two different products, but with a 'family' resemblance.

Stan

I'm Gary.

ATTN: DaveC.

Dave was kind enough to loan me a selection of opamps to try in my "Caimanised" 7520, finally got around to trying them out today.

They were:
    OPA134PA
    NE5332N (Different make from Stans originals)
    4971ONA

My Dac has the MCL5 and 6 capacitor legs snipped on the output board as well as the Wolfsen Dac transplant.
    I was running LM4562 op-amps in both line and headamp sockets.

Unfortunately it wasn't much of a test, as for some reason the OPA134PA and the 4971ONA both were very distorted and only coming out of one channel.

Now, I dont know if this is because I snipped the Caps on the oputput board or what, but I couldn't make any judgement about these Op-Amps in the Caiman spec Dac.

The standard 7520-fit NE5332 though.... in comparison to the LM4562's were just not in the same class.

Far more clarity, whallop, soundstage depth...you name it.

So sorry Dave, not much to report!
    I'll get 'em in the mail tommorow!

Gary.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Confused.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    ATTN: DaveC.

Dave was kind enough to loan me a selection of opamps to try in my "Caimanised" 7520, finally got around to trying them out today.

They were:
    OPA134PA
    NE5332N (Different make from Stans originals)
    4971ONA

My Dac has the MCL5 and 6 capacitor legs snipped on the output board as well as the Wolfsen Dac transplant.
    I was running LM4562 op-amps in both line and headamp sockets.

Unfortunately it wasn't much of a test, as for some reason the OPA134PA and the 4971ONA both were very distorted and only coming out of one channel.

Now, I dont know if this is because I snipped the Caps on the oputput board or what, but I couldn't make any judgement about these Op-Amps in the Caiman spec Dac.

The standard 7520-fit NE5332 though.... in comparison to the LM4562's were just not in the same class.

Far more clarity, whallop, soundstage depth...you name it.

So sorry Dave, not much to report!
    I'll get 'em in the mail tommorow!

Gary.
    Hi Gary,
    They were given to me FoC by a fellow AoS member who, I believe, had them left over from his op-amp rolling activities (on a standard 7520 I believe) which may be evidence in support of your findings. If the kind donor of the op-amps wants to contribute to this thread it may be helpful. My memory has retained the name of the donor (for a change ) but I'd rather not name him - seems ungrateful but I'm truly not, it's just that I've realised my statement above may be open to that (mis)interpretation.
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Gary.

It COULD just be dave that without the 5/ 6 caps in place on the output board those OpAmps just dont work properly.

Says Gary, showing his ignorance of all things electronic!
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Incase I missed something somewhere and just to remind that OPA134PA and 4971ONA are SINGLE op-amps not duals, you need to use two each of those in a browndog socket for stereo.

Example OPA134 mono, OPA2134 stereo
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Gary.

THAT explains why they were only working on one channel!
    Thanks for that Leo.

Although there was some signal coming through the other speaker?
    Was this signal leakage maybe, or something else?
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Confused.

Hi Gaz,
    Would that explain what the little PCB thingy was - a browndog adapter to enable two such op-amps to be fitted into one socket maybe?
    If so, would you like me to send everything back to you?
    Cheers?
    DaveK.

My System:
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Yep, theres NFB resistors so if theres no op-amp you'll get a very low signal

If you like either of those op-amps just get the dual version, it saves faffing about with converter boards
    Some op-amps aren't available in duals but those ones you have are
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Confused.

Quote Originally Posted by leo View Post
    Yep, theres NFB resistors so if theres no op-amp you'll get a very low signal

If you like either of those op-amps just get the dual version, it saves faffing about with converter boards
    Some op-amps aren't available in duals but those ones you have are
    And, as an added bonus, the lid on the 7520 will close also, presumably?
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast