+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valve phono stage question

I'm Shaun.

Default Valve phono stage question

Does anyone happen to know whether the Yaqin MS-12B will work on UK mains or is it the same as all other Chinese gear...?

I'm Geoff.

I wouldn't worry too much Shaun. There are plenty of MS-12B units in this country and I've not heard of any mains matching problems. I've had plenty of 230v Chinese electronics and never had any bother.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shaun.

I have owned Chinese hi-fi items before and they lasted at most two years. The valve amplifier I had had voltages all over the place and was damn near dangerous so I do very definitely worry about buying yet another piece of Chinese hi-fi however a UK made comparable piece price wise would only be a Project unit. I just wonder if the Yaqin would be any better.

I'm Geoff.

This thread on diyaudio forum seems to answer your question Shaun.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes...fe-use-uk.html
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shaun.

Many thanks for that Geoff I think I'll leave well alone as 'once bitten, twice shy' and all of that rubbish. I shall probably go with something secondhand off ebay.

I'm Geoff.

I've been using Graham Slee phono stages for years and I've been very pleased with the sound. But If you still fancy valves, look out for a used Bellari VP 129 on eBay, they don't look much, but sound amazingly good at the price. The later VP130 seems less liked, I had a VP129 for a while and it really surprised me, not far short of the EAR 848P I had. By the way, I found the Graham Slee V Era Gold superior even to the EAR 834L. I'm currently using an Reflex Era Gold, can't hear much in it between that and the V Era Gold.

I'm Nodrog.

Why not talk to Alan (Firebottle) about his valve pre?? Special price for AOS members too.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    Why not talk to Alan (Firebottle) about his valve pre?? Special price for AOS members too.
    I have Firebottle's original valve pre with me at the moment but it really is not to my taste or liking. I prefer a phono stage with great depth and Firebottle's pre shouts everything out at you in one huge wall of sound which I find a little too CD like. I'll keep looking as I am in no hurry at the moment. Something will turn up as it usually does.

I'm Geoff.

If you like depth, as I do. Get a listen to the V Era Gold, that has amazing ambience and soundstaging. You can hear right into the depths of the recording. It's also totally uncoloured and very transparent, good weight too. It's a very neutral device, you'd never tell by listening whether it was valve or solid state. Shame you're not nearby, you could have a listen here.

I'm Kevin.

Graham Slee do a loan scheme, so you can have a listen before you commit to buy.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast