Hello - I'm new to the forum but have had a really good look around over the last few weeks. My question relates to using my old (80's) Heybrook HB2 speakers as part of a kitchen system (initially spotify premium and internet radio, via ipad, Airport Express, Rega Brio amp (80's) - expect to add a Bushmaster DAC soon).

You may have seen a very similar post over at the world-designs forum (to which Shane has most helpfully provided a very full answer already) but I thought I might get some further thoughts and experience over here before I start drilling!

Due to the layout of the kitchen (approx 4.5m x 3.5m) and the kitchen furniture, I'm planning to put up a very strong/rigid high shelf (approx 1.9m up from the floor, on the 3.5m end of the room) using these supports (http://www.locksonline.com/acatalog/...go-11182.htmls), leaving an air gap between the wooden part of the shelf and the wall (size of air gap depending on advice from you all - but probably at least 200mm, possibly as much as 300mm is what I'm thinking about). The shelf will probably be approx 1.8m long. I'm expecting to tilt the speakers forwards (initially using blue tack) - down towards the main listening position which will be approx 3.5m away from the shelf (pointing down the length of the room). Hopefully I've successfully added a diagram of the plan. There is no scope to have the speakers at a more normal stand height.

image.jpg

So, I'd like some advice on the optimum positioning of the HB2's (I've had them in storage for a few years - but they still sound great). I seem to remember that they are best placed away from a wall and angled inwards somewhat - however I can't remember the optimum position (how far from wall and what sort of toe in angle) and once I put up the shelf, all I'll be able to adjust is the separation, toe in, and tilt angle - the length of the shelf and it's distance off the wall (ie the air gap which I'm hoping will go some way to placing the speakers in "free space") will be fixed.

Hopefully I've made my problem clear. Using speaker wall brackets has been suggested, however I've not managed to identify any that look strong/rigid enough, while enabling a stand-off from the wall of 200-300mm. If anyone can suggest anything more suitable than the shelf I'm planning, then I'd be very interested.

Many Thanks for any thoughts that you may have.

Cheers. Bill