+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hola

I'm James.

Default Hola

I've been a member on pfm and wigwam for years now and figured it was about time I broadened my horizons and signed up to yet another forum to scare the wife and bank manager. I'm a bit of a serial box swapper/sidegrader/diyer but am trying to kick the habit, settle down, and stop burning holes in things. I do most of my listening in my home office in a single bedroom sized room. This is currently:

Laptop+waveio usb>i2s (mostly foobar, some fidelify)
    Ipod touch 4th gen on a pure i20 dock (radio and spotify)
    Diy ES9023 dac using a mambo dac board off ebay
    Inca Tech Oberon amp
    Orelle Orator mk2 speakers

Lounge (mainly tv) system is:

Project debut 3 with acrylic platter, speedbox S, phono box SE2, Ortofon 2M blue
    Rega Brio R
    Orelle Orator mk1 speakers
    Tivo box
    Sony Bluray jobbie

Hoping to get a sonos connect in the lounge in the not too distant.

In terms of music, I'm a miserable git at heart so mostly anything that way inclined. Teen years were spent as a goth in Leeds in the late 80s, then indie/grunge, and then I discovered detroit techno at Uni in London. The next few years were spent djing and ignoring the rest of the music scene. Since opened my mind a bit and will basically listen to anything that touches a nerve. Recent highlight being John Grant. Off to see warpaint, goldrfrapp and the nme tour in the next month or so.

James
    Last edited by Spev; 30-01-2014 at 16:19.

I'm ChrisB.

Hi and welcome to AoS

I'm Steve.

A big welcome to AOS. Interesting little set up you have there. The Oberon amp in particular. Rare as rocking horse s..t.

I'm Paul.

Welcome James. Nice set up and some pretty rarely seen speakers there too.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Spev View Post
    In terms of music, I'm a miserable git at heart so mostly anything that way inclined. James
    Hi James, welcome.

I take it from the above you must have a Leonard Cohen collection then?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Thanks for the welcome folks.

I don't actually have a huge amount of Cohen - someone I need to explore more.

The Oberon is a fairly recent purchase and one I'm enjoying a lot. Bit quirky, but running a single input through the cd direct input it bypasses the somewhat noisy pre section and helps with an unbalanced vol pot at low vol. I actually prefer it to the Brio R.

The Orelle speakers have a bit of history - I bought the mk1s as a random cheap battered and bruised purchase off ebay as they looked interesting. They absolutely panned the Royds I had in place at the time so stayed. Then a diy power amp blew up and took out the unobtanium bass drivers in them. I spent several years looking out for replacements and in the meantime located a pair of mk2s. I was in touch with the owner of those for about 3 years and eventually got hold of them. Turns out they were a prototype active pair, with incorrect tweeters, no crossovers and on closer inspection only one working bass driver. I'd amassed a few spares along the way so cobbled together a working pair and with help from Martin Colloms (the designer) built the crossovers to spec. They're by no means perfect but do a lot right for me in my room. They could do with a bit of assistance with rocking, so I'm considering trying dropping a sub in the mix.

James

+ Reply to Thread