+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The best XLR plugs

I'm Deleted.

Some balanced amps aren't actually a balanced circuit inside, even though they may offer balanced in and/or out.
    ----
    I've yet to find an XLR that was poorly constructed. I've used the Switchcraft ones in the past and they are also good.
    Account Deleted

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Expensive XLR's are just that! Expensive for the profit in it and the jewellery style of finish outside. Used properly in a balanced system, they almost certainly won't make one iota of difference and even if the pins aren't some fancy material, plugging them in and out a few times every so often should be enough to clean them.

Think of the DOZENS of bog-standard Switchcraft and Neutrik connectors used in studios to make the music mixes we all listen to - very low microphone outputs as well!
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Expensive XLR's are just that! Expensive for the profit in it and the jewellery style of finish outside. Used properly in a balanced system, they almost certainly won't make one iota of difference and even if the pins aren't some fancy material, plugging them in and out a few times every so often should be enough to clean them.

Think of the DOZENS of bog-standard Switchcraft and Neutrik connectors used in studios to make the music mixes we all listen to - very low microphone outputs as well!
    But the OP didn't ask "which are the best sounding XLRs" David, so everyone's definition of the "best" may mean different things hence the variety of answers. I personally go for the best quality I can afford in my own system as fit, finish and durability matter to me, especially with having kit swapped in and out all the time. Others have different criteria so it's one of the questions that may not have a "right" answer..

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Neutrik have been used by the industry for years, proven reliability with exceptionally good value for money...
    Exactly. Audio professionals are not taken in by Audiophile hype and expensive 'audio jewellery' . I really do wish some people on this Forum, who have been taken in by suppliers' claims and have wasted their money, would keep their opinions to themselves...
    Last edited by Martyn Miles; 27-01-2014 at 18:12. Reason: Punctuation

I'm Martyn.

Thank you, David. I should have read your post before posting mine. You are SO right. Martyn M.

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn Miles View Post
    I really do wish some people on this Forum, who have been taken in by suppliers' claims and have wasted their money, would keep their opinions to themselves...
    Despite what I said to David earlier, what would be the point of a discussion forum if members weren't able to discuss their opinions when they tried something new, whatever the cost? It's one thing for a salesman to say his product is good - he would wouldn't he? But if someone who's invested their own money in it and prefers it, then who are you to tell them that they're wrong....or that they shouldn't ever mention it?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

But if you've 'invested' tons of your own money on bling products then you 'would' prefer it, wouldn't you, to save face if nothing else! Apologies all, I've gone way beyond needing to parade any audio gear I own as a badge of honour, listed underneath every post I make. It's a tool to do the job necessary and does it for me very well. if you really think a £70 XLR plug really 'is' better, then go right ahead. The rest of us living in the real world can 'make do' with our 'inferior' Neutrik and equivalent plugs, safe in the knowledge that they're long lasting, have no audible effect if used correctly and are cheap enough to allow more funds to be spent on the music!

So there!!!!!
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm ChrisB.

if you really think a £70 XLR plug really 'is' better, then go right ahead.
    Thanks for that - good to know I have your blessing.
    Now take a look around AoS and see how many times I've said before about how I've long ago done with messing about with cables and you may find that my entire system cost less than £200 to cable from front to back, then take a guess at how many interconnects it takes to couple up the stuff I have in my willy-waving signature.
    I'll never buy a £70 plug any more than fly to the moon, but I'll defend anyone's right to discuss them on an audio forum. Unless it's an ill disguised sales pitch.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

My preamp and power amps are true balanced designs. I am happy to use either Neutrix or Switchcraft XLRs with either silver or gold plated contacts, or even use the original Cannon designs.

I see no improvement in design with either of the Furutech or the Bocchino BAXLR versions; they certainly don't inspire any confidence by their appearance.

As André and others have said, Cannon, Neutrix and Switchcraft connectors have been used in professional audio, by studios and broadcasters for years and have a proven track record for quality and reliability.
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Default Best XLRs?

Well, I've tried a few, including the Neutrik and Furutech variety mentioned, and IME, the best (as in best sounding and most robustly constructed), are the Yaeger XLR connectors, which Paul Hynes uses on his SR7 PSUs. The Yaeger connector is used to supply power to my T/T, via a solid-silver DC lead:

And at the other end, on the back of my SR7 (entry point for the Yaeger shown underneath the carbon-fibre bodied Furutech XLR plug):

I believe that Yaeger connectors are used in professional applications, such as on medical equipment, and so therefore must be very durable. In hi-fi applications, they're effective, sonically, I believe because they measure very low impedance. However, Paul would be better commenting on the technicalities.

The observation I would make is that, as you can see from the back of my SR7, I had the option of comparing the Furutech XLR plug (shown connected to the unit) against the Yaeger. The Furutech, despite being 'sexier' looking (I wanted it to win), was notably worse sounding, which is why I ended up selling it on!

Therefore, I found that the Yaeger XLR plugs, at a fraction of the price of the Furutech, were the superior connectors (the best I've used), and so wouldn't hesitate recommending them to others

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast