+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cat5 or Cat6?

I'm Neal.

If you're going to the trouble of ripping up floors then fit the better cable for the reasons I stated above. A home wired network still has value one of them is the ability to support PoE which may come in handy if the need arises. Wired data centres are not going away, discrete networks still rule even with the emergence of converged networks. WiFi make work in a small office situation but its shared bandwidth is an issue as you scale up.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    If you're going to the trouble of ripping up floors then fit the better cable for the reasons I stated above. A home wired network still has value one of them is the ability to support PoE which may come in handy if the need arises. Wired data centres are not going away, discrete networks still rule even with the emergence of converged networks. WiFi make work in a small office situation but its shared bandwidth is an issue as you scale up.
    I agree with you.
    I will add that unless you're going to go the full hog with Cat7 then it's a waste of time, and no more beneficial than Cat6.
    The amount of common earth bonding required to bring a Cat7 installation up to snuff in itself make the exercise costly to say the least. Just chucking a Cat7 patch lead in between bits of gear does not make a Cat7 installation.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I agree with you.
    I will add that unless you're going to go the full hog with Cat7 then it's a waste of time, and no more beneficial than Cat6.
    The amount of common earth bonding required to bring a Cat7 installation up to snuff in itself make the exercise costly to say the least. Just chucking a Cat7 patch lead in between bits of gear does not make a Cat7 installation.
    So true!
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Michael.

Yep, either do it right, or leave it be. As doing it right will not be cheap I do not recommend it for home installations as stated above.
    YMMV
    Michael

I'm Paul.

Thanks guys, some interesting, if conflicting, views. However, I'll aim as high as I can whilst the opportunity presents itself. Now where is the best place to buy cable, connectors and crimping tools?

Paul.

Screwfix seem to be everywhere.
    Chris

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by paul(555) View Post
    Thanks guys, some interesting, if conflicting, views. However, I'll aim as high as I can whilst the opportunity presents itself. Now where is the best place to buy cable, connectors and crimping tools?

Paul.
    do not forget a FLUKE meter to measure damping factors and other certifiable electrical properties needed for whatever CAT standard you try to achieve.
    tbh self crimping is nothing I would recommend, the tools needed will easily cost more than sourcing the installation to an electrician you trust …
    sorry
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mimoser View Post
    do not forget a FLUKE meter to measure damping factors and other certifiable electrical properties needed for whatever CAT standard you try to achieve.
    tbh self crimping is nothing I would recommend, the tools needed will easily cost more than sourcing the installation to an electrician you trust …
    sorry
    Michael
    FLUKE?
    Chris

I'm Michael.

Default FLUKE!

http://www.flukenetworks.com/enterpr...cablenetworkCI
    Though it might seem a pun, the company is the most posh multimeter and network testing company in the CEE region.
    have a pint and a half’un on me …

Michael

I know what a FLUKE is - £3000 worth of tester ain't happening in this case
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast