+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bantam Gold Mono's

I'm Shaun.

Default Bantam Gold Mono's

Hello all, does anyone have any nice snippets of information or opinions of the Bantam Gold Monoblocks...? I would be using them with a Fidelity Audio PRE-120 preamplifier and KEF Q500 loudspeakers that are I think, around 87 db/W/m. Any information you may have would be very gratefully received.

I'm Shaun.

How might these compare to the Project Mono box DS amplifier at around twice the price...? Also of course, more than twice the output...?

I'm Brian.

Hi Shaun , I use a Bantam Gold and it's very good indeed . I use it powered by a 12v car battery which provides me with an audible improvement over the supplies PSU . At 25w per channel they drive my Rega EL8s no problem at all . The amp has a higher gain setting which provides more volume but the SQ suffers slightly. I know Ali Tait uses a pair of Bantam Golds to drive his open baffle speakers without any problem . A couple of months ago Tony ( wee tee cee ) brought his Temple Audio monoblocks over to mine . He uses them with a pair of Quad speakers ( EL 63s I think ) and a pair of Spendor SP1s and both sound absolutely fantastic . Again better when powered by 12v battery I believe. Anyway, in my system the result was more of everything . Very clean , powerful sound with better bass , mids and top end . My only concern was that they didn't sound quite as sweet ( read pipe and slippers ) as the Bantam Gold . This little amp is as good , if not better than , most of the amps which I've had in my system over the years . Buy with confidence Shaun . There's an excellent returns policy if they don't suit. I kept mine and am listening to it as I write this .
    Incidentally the monoblocks have 6 different gain settings I believe , so very flexible indeed . I'm sure Tony and Ali will be along soon to give you their opinions on these amps.
    Last edited by brian2957; 24-01-2014 at 13:11.

I'm Trevor.

Hi Shaun, I took delivery of a pair of Monoblocks yesterday. It's early days but I would agree with the comment that you get 'more of everything'. I'm powering them with a Custom Hifi Company DC2 linear power supply. and my speakers are Opus3 Credo's. I haven't had to alter the gain on the mono blocks, although it's very straightforward to do this if needed. Incidentally they have 8 gain settings not 6.
    I also use a Temple Audio Bantam in my living room hooked up to a Sonos Connect and B&W 685 speakers. It sounds superb and is equal to any previous amplifier I've used including a Rokson Kandy, Cyrus 2 + PSX and NAD 3130. The Bantam definitely benefits from an upgraded power supply. I'm using a Custom Hifi Company DC1 linear supply. I haven't tried a 12 volt supply.
    John at Temple Audio is very helpful and you can't really go wrong with a 60 day trial period.

I'm Brian.

Hi Trevor , I'm interested in the Custom Hifi DC1 . How does it compare to the supplied PSU ? Ta.

I'm Trevor.

Hi Brian, the DC1 is a definite improvement. It opens up the soundstage and bass is tighter and more extended. Subjectively, I'm finding that listening is just more involving. I wasn't expecting the scale of the improvement. Money well spent! Sean is also very helpful and he offers a 30 day money back period.
    Each unit is built to order so they can be customised to suit. The DC2 I am using with the Bantam Monoblocks was customised to feed both amps rather having two separate power supplies. I use his PP10 Passive Pre-amp with the mono blocks and it is again very good indeed, particularly when you consider its low cost (£75!).
    Sean's interconnects and IEC leads are also very high quality. I'm using his Blue interconnects with the Monoblocks and they are excellent - better than any interconnect I've used. His Powerblack IEC is also excellent.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I'd echo Brian's comments - more power with the monos, but you lose a little sweetness, the monos being a little more incisive. Depends which is to your taste I guess, I wouldn't say one is not as good as the other. Also would depend on how your speakers are voiced too..
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

BTW, the Gold stereo will take up to 18v, the more voltage, the more power out.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by tpbholm View Post
    Hi Brian, the DC1 is a definite improvement. It opens up the soundstage and bass is tighter and more extended. Subjectively, I'm finding that listening is just more involving. I wasn't expecting the scale of the improvement. Money well spent! Sean is also very helpful and he offers a 30 day money back period.
    Each unit is built to order so they can be customised to suit. The DC2 I am using with the Bantam Monoblocks was customised to feed both amps rather having two separate power supplies. I use his PP10 Passive Pre-amp with the mono blocks and it is again very good indeed, particularly when you consider its low cost (£75!).
    Sean's interconnects and IEC leads are also very high quality. I'm using his Blue interconnects with the Monoblocks and they are excellent - better than any interconnect I've used. His Powerblack IEC is also excellent.
    Thanks Trevor , definetely interested .

I'm tony.

I run two pairs of monos. Both are velcroed to the rear of the respective speakers 63s and spendor sp1s. In conjunction with a temple audio passive pre I set each amp via the impedance to suit the speaker.I run short jumper length speaker cables and long interconnects. I run my set up dac/amps on a car battery this to my ears in my room sounds the best.
    I ran the monos quad amped on kef iq50s and tannoy floorstanders (f3 I think) to great effect but pretty unforgiving. My current set ups are very enjoyable and non fatiguing.
    I have the uprated temple psu and run balanced mains but battery power as mentioned by Ali and Brian does give a noticeable improvement.
    The Temple amps are keepers,along with my original bantum.
    The comparison at Brians place was very interesting his summation was spot on-his speakers are voiced nearer the kefs.

Both my speakers are pipe and slippers but create a lovely synergy with the monos.

Matched up with suitable cables and ancillaries they provide some amazing bang for buck hi fi.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast