+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jelco tonearm pivot damper

I'm Stephen.

Default Jelco tonearm pivot damper

I was cruising around HiFi sites various and came across this: http://www.ttweights.com/catalog/ite...75/9693297.htm

Sounded a bit snake oil even at reduced price of $69. Then I remembered I had a brand new heavy counterweight for my SME 3009 which like as not was about the same size and weight. The thread on the counterweight fits neatly into the hole on the top of the Jelco dashpot screw with little movement. So on it popped.

Well darn me if it doesn't sound better with the weight than without I've tried it on a few albums and it improves focus and definition. Good example is my favourite flamenco album with really forceful strummed and plucked guitar - with the weight added you can hear the individual strings being strummed with greater clarity and with plucked strings there is better definition and attack to the start of the notes.

I was so impressed I decided to order the pukka item - got all the way to the final bit of the checkout to find the dealer charges a flat $80 for international shipping Outrageous - clearly doesn't want to ship out of good old US of A.

So I'll think of a way of utilising the SME weight with a bit more finesse. At present I can't quite fully close the lid when I'm not playing vinyl as the weight is a smidge to tall.

If there is anyone out there who can offer to bore a hole in my SME counterweight too exactly fit the dashpot screw which will drop the overall height down a few mm and allow the lid to close there is cash waiting.

If you have a similar weight to hand give it a try - you will be pleasantly surprised.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Always a little further

+ Reply to Thread